Feature Request - SQL one-off Transaction Log Backups

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Feature Request - SQL one-off Transaction Log Backups

Veeam Logoby john.heimiller » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:20 pm 1 person likes this post

I am a SQL DBA and forced to use Veeam SQL Backup for our Enterprise Backup solution.

Veeam maintains the Log Chain. I often have a need to do a one-off SQL Transaction Log backup to "maintain" the transaction log of a given Database....for instance to shrink the log during disk issues. There are other reasons.

This, of course breaks the Veeam log chain and creates a hole in the Veeam restore point-in-time continuity.
So we get a lot of Veeam tlog alerts until our next nightly backup....and have that hole.

Certainly after doing this I can run a full backup job to get that one database's Veeam timeline "patched up". But this is overkill and takes a lot of time...and there is still a hole.

If I could easily (key point) and quickly (another key point) take a tlog backup that would be saved to the Veeam repository and be part of the log chain, that would be great. Also, regarding "quickly"...could it be a client app or a line command (Powershell cmdlet would be real nice)?

Note: I was directed her from a DISQUS replay below:
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Polina Vasileva > JohnHMET • an hour ago
Hi JohnHMET,
Unfortunately this scenario isn't currently supported. You can request this feature at Veeam forums veeam... and our R&D team will take it into account for future releases.
= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Thanks
john.heimiller
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Heimiller

Re: Feature Request - SQL one-off Transaction Log Backups

Veeam Logoby sasilik » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 am

sasilik
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 am

Or VeeamZIP, if you're after solely independent restore point. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 966 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby johannesk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm

The VeeamZIP solution has no relevance to what John is talking about. John is maintaining the SQL transaction logs - and needs to do it in a way that interrupts the SQL log backup chain that Veeam is mainaining already. Thus he is aware that his DBA actions are interrupting the Veeam Backup process, hence he needs a way to do it 'Veeam Way' and still have the transaction log truncated.
johannesk
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication