Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
garymansell
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Licensing Requirement for Permanent Failover/Failback Setup

Post by garymansell »

We have two VMware Clusters at two separate locations separated by a fast WAN link and we will have Veeam installed for local backup at each location and each Veeam server will be configured to "pull" replicate business critical remote VM's to the local site for DR purposes. We want to do "pull" replication instead of "push" so that the failover plan's and Re-IP rules can be quickly and easily applied to the servers at the DR site.

Several of our critical systems consist of database systems whose performance is severely negatively affected by running from multiple snapshot (restore points) when running at the DR location, so we have decided that in time of disaster we will have to do a permanent failover to the remote site and then manually set the replication back (by means of a temporary replication job using the original source vm's as seeds) to the source site when it is available again to restore the systems to their original locations and configurations.

Each Veeam server will be licensed for it's own VMware cluster nodes at the local site, but not for the remote site nodes - will this licensing allow me to do what I want to achieve?

ie can each Veeam server do "pull" replication from the remote cluster to the local site without being licensed for the remote nodes?

Rgds

Gary
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Licensing Requirement for Permanent Failover/Failback Se

Post by foggy »

Hi Gary, to implement this kind of setup, you need a license that covers both clusters to be added in both Veeam B&R installations.
garymansell
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by garymansell »

This is what I was presuming - I need to ensure that all VM hosts x sockets at both locations are licensed (once) and then install this license for all machines at both sites on both Veeam installations.

Is it possible to add the same license to both Veeam installs, then, or will this be a problem?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Since this is the same environment, this is possible.
skprmark
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: skprmark

[MERGED] Can Multiple B&R servers share licenses Case #02187

Post by skprmark »

I have one B&R server with my Veeam licenses in it. However I have a customer who wants full access to the B&R server so they can control Fail Back and undo processes for their VMs. I gave them an account on the Backup Enterprise Manager but it only allows Undo. They need Failback so changes made on the Replica are sent back to the original VM when it is brought back online.

My question is is there any way to license a second B&R server without having to get another license file. Can the two B&R servers share the same license key somehow?

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Can Multiple B&R servers share licenses Case #02187786

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You can use the same license key with another server installation as long as your license key covers the entire source infrastructure.
Please review this existing discussion above.

Thanks!