Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ap220859
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andreas Paland

Endpoint Backup -> FLR -> BSOD

Post by ap220859 »

Support Case 02040111

I use VEB version 1.5. The program works well. Only a FLR restore generates a BSOD.
In addition, I use a virus protection program "Trendmicro Maximum Security". I have registered the exclusion lists as recommended in the Veeam Support article.
With a FLR restore I can select the recovery point. After the backup explorer starts, a BSOD is executed. SystemServiceExpection with the code 0x0000003b.
The backup is located on a SATA hard disk in a Docking station from the manufacturer ICY-Box.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoint Backup -> FLR -> BSOD

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Andreas,

Is it possible to disable the antivirus completely and start a test FLR session again? Thanks.
ap220859
Novice

Post by ap220859 »

Hey, if I disable the virus scanner, the FLR works well. Nevertheless, this can not be the solution.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andreas,

Thanks. Keep working with support team – they should provide you the exact list of when needs to be excluded and don’t forget to update this thread with the results.
ap220859
Novice

Post by ap220859 »

Hey Dima, the exceptions in the virus scanner are as specified in the Veeam KB.
Since the error always occurs with the FLR, the directory c: \ veeamFLR may be the problem? This directory is not entered in the exception list. The virus scanner has full access to it.
Does Veeam permanently create this directory or is it a temporary directory when running FLR?
As I said, there are only conjectures of mine!

Andreas
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andreas,

Yes. Please exclude that directory. That should solve the problem. That is the directory where we mount the backup so it can be seen by our explorer. Since this is a mounting operation I see indeed AV not liking this :-)

Let me know if that solves the case. In the meantime I will ask to some people to have a look at that KB.

PS: Yes, this directory is permanently but it is empty when you are not performing a restore. When you have the file-level recover explorer open, you will notice under that directory that it looks like the entire backup is there (This is also a possibility to copy the data from there to wherever you want to restore ;-))

Let us know
Mike
ap220859
Novice

Post by ap220859 »

I have added the directory c: \ VeeamFLR to the Exclusion List. In a restore test, I received a BSOD again.

The Trendmicro virus scanner "Trend Mircro Maximum Security 2017" has version 11.0.1186
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Andreas,

Can you please check if it’s possible to open a support case with Trend Micro guys?
ap220859
Novice

Post by ap220859 »

I have opened a support call at Trend Micro but have not received an answer yet
ap220859
Novice

Post by ap220859 » 1 person likes this post

I have trendmicro re-installed, according to your specifications. The effect was the same. FLR crashes with a BSOD. Then I contacted TrendMicro Support. They have recommended a new installation of the entire system. This is not possible at the moment. Consequence: I have completely uninstalled TrendMicro. The subsciption is completed in a few days. Therefore, I will look for another virus scanner.

I would like to thank you very much for your help.