Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gregom
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Gregory

Restore options during backup server upgrade

Post by gregom »

I am currently running Windows Server 2008 R2 and Veeam B&R v9. I have another server across our 45 mbit WAN connection that is our offsite copy (their offsite copy is at my site). That server is the proxy / repository, also running Win 2008 R2.

I'd like to upgrade both of these to Windows Server 2016 and Veeam B&R 9.5. The issue is we have about 10 TB of VM's from both sites combined that will take several days to copy across our WAN connection once I upgrade the backup server. My question is how can I do restores if I need to during this period?

I do have an "offline copy" proxy / repository at my site that I do a manual backup copy job to once a month, and it is powered off the rest of the time. This is just a Linux Ubuntu box so I don't see how I could restore from it.

Can I do a temporary install of Veeam B&R v9 on a VM and point to my offline copy repository?
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Re: Restore options during backup server upgrade

Post by chjones »

I would do what you suggest if you are worried. Install Veeam v9 on a temporary VM and point it at your repository. Veeam should import all restore points from the repository so you can restore if needed.

How are you upgrading the Server 2016? If you are just doing an OS upgrade then it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I would recommend to upgrade Veeam to 9.5 first, then make sure your temporary VM is also 9.5, then upgrade the OS on the server.

As long as you have a backup of the Veeam Database and still have your backup repository you can recover your Veeam setup very quickly. We've had issues in the past with our Veeam server and all you need to do is reinstall Windows then install Veeam and point it at the existing database and you're mostly good to go.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Along the lines with Chris here. You can also find some useful hints in this thread.
gregom
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Gregory

Post by gregom »

Thanks for the responses...

I plan on starting over with a fresh Windows Server install. I am assuming I can just create new jobs to take advantage of the ReFS. Is that right?

What about repository and proxy servers? I think i'll have to upgrade all the proxy/repository servers as well since they all send backup copies to my primary backup server. Or is that only necessary if they receive backup copies?

What about endpoint backup jobs, do those get stored with the same new features if the target server is Win2016 and VBR 9.5?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I am assuming I can just create new jobs to take advantage of the ReFS. Is that right?
Correct, as long as target repository runs on Windows Server 2016.
What about repository and proxy servers?
You will have to update them. Once updated, they cannot be used any longer in conjunction with the old backup server.
What about endpoint backup jobs, do those get stored with the same new features if the target server is Win2016 and VBR 9.5?
Nope, unless you archive those backups to Windows Server 2016 backup repository via backup copy job.

Thanks.