Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Rescan Repository

Post by pronto »

Hi Community,

I try to setup a second repository for restore purposes. We transfer the last full backup of obsolet VMs or create long time backups by writing the VIB-file to a tape library by using another backup software. This is a simple file backup of the VIB file. I learned that I can restore a VIB file of a previous backup in a repository an can trigger a rescan of repository to bring them back into the Veeam console. To avoid a full rescan of the main backup repository i created a restore reposiory. I tried this szenario with a test client but the rescan repository terminated with '0 added, 0 encrypted, 0 updated, 0 removed, 0 skipped'. What did I missunderstood when I made that plan...? Do I need a VBM file also for a successfull rescan?

Note: Using another backup software for tape backups is unavoidable because we need it for backup physical machines. To backup physical machines with Veeam is not an option.

Thx & Bye Tom
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Rescan Repository

Post by jmmarton »

Yes, you'll need the VBM. That's the metadata file for the job and is needed to import backups into VBR.

Joe
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Joe,
jmmarton wrote:Yes, you'll need the VBM. That's the metadata file for the job and is needed to import backups into VBR.
Ah okay. Can I backup the original VBM file of the affected VM? Is there a potential conflict when the same VBM file occur in the system but in different repositories? This would affect the possibility if we can use any full backup file (Edit:) VBR from a regular backup job for long time backups (now with the (Edit:) VBM file) or if we have to create an own backup job for that porpose?

Thx & Bye Tom
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Tom,

By the way it’s not enough to put only VIBs since you need all backup chain files including VBK.

Thanks!
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus DGrinev,

sorry I ment in this context only full backup files VBKs! The question should be if it is possible to take a full backup file (vbk) and the meta data file (vbm) from a regular backup - which contais also incrementals (vib) - and put it into another repository without any conflicts?

Thx & Bye Tom
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Tom,

Yes, just keep in mind that it should be VBM that contains valid information about the entire backup chain presented in the new repository.

Thanks!
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus DGrinev,

This is a pity, for long-term backups a full backup would be enough. It would be the easiest to take this from the regular backup chain. To create an own backup job for that purpose needs a lot of time and disk space.

The background of that plan is to provide a long-term full back-up of our e-mail server every three month, in order to be able to access it later. It would be needed once, after our virus scanner run amok and deleted all excel files from the user mailboxes. We noticed that much later after all normal backups were overwritten.

Thx & Bye Tom
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Tom,

For your scenario you can use backup import since it requires to have VBK only.

Thanks!
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus,
DGrinev wrote:For your scenario you can use backup import since it requires to have VBK only.
sorry for my beeing late. I did some tests and it seems that this is exactly what I was seraching for :-)

Thanks a lot & Bye Tom