Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

New vCenter plugin for 9.5U1 for Enterprise Manager

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi

Is there a new vCenter plugin from Enterprise Manager for 9.5U1? I've done the upgrade and my EM reports as 9.5.0.823 but after removing and installing the plugin on my vCenter servers they all still report 9.5.0.711.

Is the old plugin not uninstalling properly or is that still the correct version?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New vCenter plugin for 9.5U1 for Enterprise Manager

Post by foggy »

Plug-in version should reflect the new version. Please try to re-install the plug-in (this procedure and this KB might help) and contact support if required.
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi Foggy

Yeah, I'm aware of them sadly, this will be the second full uninstall and reinstall of EM (had to do the same to get the v9 EM plugin working). Just gone through the KB and cleared out the files on our Windows VC and no joy. Also this is across 2 VC's so it's the EM server actually sending the old plugin.

Thanks
Dave
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi Foggy

Can you double check this is the case with 9.5U1? I've just extracted the 9.5U1 update to a temp folder and it doesn't appear to include a new VC plugin at all. No .WAR or .JAR files, no *vsphere-plugin*.zip. If it's built as par tof the install I wouldn't expect that but I figured there would be something in there that would at least be the base of it.

Thanks
Dave
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Dave, you can check the WebApp\static\static\vcplugin\vsphere-plugin.zip (or vsphere-plugin-6.zip) file on the Enterprise Manager server itself. The plugin-package.xml file inside should contain the correct version="9.5.0.823" property.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

The plugin-package.xml in my updated server has 9.5.0.711
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

That means the file was not replaced for some reason (file could be locked or something). I'd recommend opening a case for the setup logs review.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

Are you sure the file is being replaced with the update? I also just looked into the 902 files inside the update package, and there is nothing in there for the vsphere plugin. No zip file or other packages.

And I remember that was also the case for one of the 9.0 versions. The plugin had an older build number.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I just checked my 9.5U1 lab instance and my plugins are the old version as well.
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

foggy wrote:Dave, you can check the WebApp\static\static\vcplugin\vsphere-plugin.zip (or vsphere-plugin-6.zip) file on the Enterprise Manager server itself. The plugin-package.xml file inside should contain the correct version="9.5.0.823" property.
Nope, it's 711 in the XML file, that's what got me extracting the update files to see if there was an updated zip file included. It sounds like either it's not supposed to be updated at all, or it wasn't included in the U1 update by mistake.

Given U1 adds the VMWare 6.5 support I imagine there should be a new plugin, but maybe not
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I've checked with devs once again, it was supposed to be updated, but was not. The intended changes will be included in Update 2. This shouldn't affect vSphere 6.5 support in any way. Sorry for confusion.
Kev Parr
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Parr

Post by Kev Parr »

Foggy - any idea when this will be available? I've followed all the advice on the articles and deleted all things Veeam from the VC servers and now they are taking a long time to log on via the web client. They also fail when trying to use the plug-in.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Update 2 should be available in about 3 months based on our standard update cadence.
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

Kev Parr wrote:Foggy - any idea when this will be available? I've followed all the advice on the articles and deleted all things Veeam from the VC servers and now they are taking a long time to log on via the web client. They also fail when trying to use the plug-in.
Mine also took a long time to login after manually cleaning out the files, but that only seemed to be the first login, subsequent logins seem fine. I'm assuming the plugin only being 711 should continue to work without issue until update 2, at least if we're still using 6U2?

Thanks
Kev Parr
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Parr

Post by Kev Parr » 1 person likes this post

Dave - for my environment we had to completely remove and re-install the plugin using the Veeam instructions supplied by foggy above. It did eventually work but i had to restart the web client services several times on all of my VC servers for it to eventually work. Perseverance is the key!!