Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pearsonsjp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Pearson

Barracuda Cloud to Veeam Migration

Post by pearsonsjp »

My company is kicking Barracuda to the curb, and we are getting very little support from them(read: none at all). We currently have about 25TB of server backups stored in our Barracuda cloud that we must retain for historical purposes, and for obvious reasons we can't just continue paying Barracuda for the next 7 years until that data is no longer necessary.
We want to migrate these and be able to restore them if the need ever arises from Veeam. We are rapidly expanding so we are looking for the most painless method of doing this as possible, paying for a solution to do this for is is not off the table.
We haven't selected a host for Veeam Cloud Connect yet - so if anybody knows if any of the available services offers this...that would be outstanding.

Otherwise, has anybody had to do something similar...or know of a way to get this done short of individually restoring everything from Barracuda then backing it back up into Veeam? (That would be a full time job in itself)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Barracuda Cloud to Veeam Migration

Post by PTide »

Hi,
We haven't selected a host for Veeam Cloud Connect yet - so if anybody knows if any of the available services offers this...that would be outstanding.
I guess that you need this tool.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The question is whether you want to send to CC repositories backups created by different utility? If so, be aware that such scenario is not supported. So, instead of cloud connect, you'd better take a look at public clouds and their offerings in regards to long-term archival storage.
pearsonsjp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Pearson

Post by pearsonsjp »

PTide wrote:Hi,
I guess that you need this tool.

Thanks
I've already looked at that page, and yes we are going to be selecting one of those.
I know how to find a Cloud Connect service. That's the easy part, the question is about migrating.
marty.curlett
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Marty Curlett

Post by marty.curlett »

Good day to everyone,

I am working with a customer that is doing this same process. The only way I have formulated to accomplish this is to restore the GFS restore points back to production. Creating a Veeam Cloud-Connect Repository and use that for a target. It will be a painfully long process. Best of my knowledge no conversion utilities exist.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you shed some light on the issue you are facing? Where your backups are currently stored and how? Who is responsible for those copies? Backup server or third-party utility? What is the end goal here? Transfer those points to cloud repository enabled by Service Provider of your choice? Thanks!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Marty,

If I get you right (based on the above thread), almost guaranteed the restore and backup of that restored VM is the only way to "convert" between backup products.

Backup products typically use a proprietary format which gives you the advantage of fancier space saving/recovery methods (e.g., fast clone, instant recovery) because the product can always assume a lot about the way the data is stored.

This fanciness comes at a cost of interoperability/migration.

I wouldn't even entertain it for my clients to be honest, and I'd suggest they need to do one of the following:

1. Secure an appropriate version of their current backup product and just keep safe copies of it somewhere. Keep this as part of your recovering testing processes until all the old backups have aged out.
2. Do exactly what you're doing and spin up the old backups into a current environment and back them up with the new product.

This is one of those tough requests clients have where we have to have a short sit down and just explain how for pay software works; almost always the request comes from ignorance, and I think only a few times have I had it where we really had pushback, but this was more from someone who had software subscriptions for the old product to perform restores, so they were in a position where they already bought the new product, and then found out that they either pay for the old one as well or dump the old backups entirely.
(Thankfully, Veeam at least allows restores in the community edition and has the extractor utility)