PowerShell script exchange
snzhang2
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nan Zhang

How to delete network mapping from replication job

Post by snzhang2 »

I need to change the network mapping for replication jobs and what I find is that if the source and destination network are on standard switches the Set-VBRViReplicaJob cmdlet can't update an existing mapping. This is not a problem for distributed switches. But if there is no existing mapping it all goes as expected.

So what I thought is to remove the existing network mapping and then remap it. But I can't find a way to remove the network mapping using the existing cmdlets. I tried (set-VBRViReplicaJob -enablenetworking:$false -Job $job) and it actually deleted the source VM from the job.

Also if there is a way to get the existing network mapping that would be nice. This will help identify if the replication job network mapping is correct or not.

Thanks in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to delete network mapping from replication job

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what particular error you got while trying to set new mapping rules with the use of SourceNetwork and TargetNetwork parameters.
snzhang2
Influencer

Post by snzhang2 »

The command:

Code: Select all

Set-VBRViReplicaJob -Job $job  -SourceNetwork $srcVBRNetwork -TargetNetwork $trgVBRNetwork -EnableNetworkMapping
runs to completion without any error (return code via $? is True). But the TargetNetwork doesn't get updated as expected.

Nan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you also share the portion where source and target networks get assigned to variables?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I've run into this before. Here's a small example of code I use which wipes the existing mapping and saves that to the job just prior to setting the new mapping.

Code: Select all

# Remove the current NetworkMappings node if it already exist (possible bug) 
if ($job.Options.Options.RootNode.NetworkMappings) {
    $job.Options.Options.RootNode.RemoveChild($job.Options.Options.RootNode.SelectSingleNode("//NetworkMappings"))
}
Set-VBRJobOptions -Job $job -Options $job.Options

# Set the new mapping
Set-VBRViReplicaJob -Job $job -EnableNetworkMapping -SourceNetwork $src_net_map -TargetNetwork $tgt_net_map
snzhang2
Influencer

Post by snzhang2 »

Thanks! That's exactly what I am after.

Unfortunately this code has the side effect of removing any existing VM mapping as well. Not sure why this would be the case as the the line for removing the mapping refers to "//NetworkMappings".
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I think this might be a bug in Set-VBRJobOptions, but I believe you can save them and remap easily enough, although I can't seem to dig up my example code for that.
snzhang2
Influencer

Post by snzhang2 »

I have a script to map VM replicas (taken from this forum and modified to my needs) so the work-around now would be to perform the network mapping first and then the VM replica mapping after.

Thanks again!