Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
PizzaGuy
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Linking backups to a restored VM after Instant VM Recovery

Post by PizzaGuy »

I have one week's worth of backups of a particular VM. Using Instant VM Recovery, I began publishing the restored VM to one of our ESXi hosts with a new name ("vmname_restored"). I followed the migration process to move the restored VM to production storage (opting not to use Quick Migration, as we have vMotion licensed).

My question for finalizing the process during this scenario is two fold.

1) Is the way to truly finish the migration to delete the original VM from disk and rename the restored version to the desired name?
2) I believe the above will interfere with any backup job associated to the original VM since the vmid of the restored version is different. How can I associate the restored VM with all of the previous backup jobs I have in my repository?

I'm guessing there is a better way to finalize a restore and synchronize the saved backups with the newly restored VM and what's in the repository.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Linking backups to a restored VM after Instant VM Recove

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

1.Since you have migrated the VM to production, you can delete the original VM from the disk and choose desired name.
2.You have to add restored VM to the jobs manually and perform the backup mapping to the existing backup files to continue the backup chain, however full job run will be started as restored VM has a different moref ID.

P.S. Please review existing topic about backup mapping in details.

Thanks!