Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
apurva
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Apurva Kumar

Tape Out at DR Site

Post by apurva »

I have 2 sites (DC & DR). I do backup at DC and copy job to DR. I want tape out at DR site using the backup copy data. So I have given repository at DR site where backup copy data is written as source data to tape job. This is not working. Any way to tape out at DR site?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Tape Out at DR Site

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Apurva,
Could you give more details of the issue, do you see any error messages?
Where do you have backup and tape servers installed?
Thanks!
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Post by apurva »

Hi Shestakov

I have veeam server at 2 sites (DC & DR). I do backup at DC site on local repository. Then a do backup copy job from DC site to DR site using WAN Accelerator. At DR veeam server, I imported the repository of backup copy job(target). This repository is also registered on DR veeam server. Now I have tape job at DR veeam server as this repository as source. The tape job run successfully stating no backup file found.

What can be solution to this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Backup to tape job do not copy backups that do not have jobs associated with them. So, you can either orchestrate tape jobs from local backup server (more convenient) or archive backups to tapes from DR site, using file to tape jobs (less convenient).
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Post by apurva »

Hi V.Erimen,

Thanks for the detail. I think I have to use file to tape job only as tape drive is not available at DC site.

Second option i was thinking that if I remove veeam server role from DR site then backup to tape job will work from backup copy job?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks for the detail. I think I have to use file to tape job only as tape drive is not available at DC site.
Actually, you do not need to have tape drive at DC site. Using DC backup console, you will need to assign a tape server role to DR server. The libraries connected to this server will be exposed to the backup server.

Starting from this moment, you will be able to create backup to tape jobs on DC backup server.
Second option i was thinking that if I remove veeam server role from DR site then backup to tape job will work from backup copy job?
That's exactly what I've proposed. Orchestrate both backup and tape jobs from one backup server, either local or remote.
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Post by apurva »

Hi Eremin,

Thanks for your suggestion. Now I have to choose between the 2 option.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you're also replicating machines to DR site, then, I'd suggest having console there. If something happens with production environment, you will be able to execute required procedures (failover, failback) from remote site smoothly.

If you stick to local console, don't forget to backup server configuration somewhere (a physical share might be a good target for that).

Thanks.
itops
Enthusiast
Full Name: juan cruz

[MERGED] Offsite Backup copy scheme

Post by itops »

Hi everyone.
I need your opinion for these issue. We have two backup servers on different locations A & B:
- At site A we run multiple backup (daily) and tape jobs (monthly) with GFS Policy. Backup jobs run active full monthly on first monday. So as Tape Jobs.
- At site B we have replica jobs of site A.

Now I need to send backup copies offsite from A to B and store latest 30 daily incrementals and the monthly full backup. Then these monthly copy to tape like site A.

I've already setup backup copy jobs on site A, linked to backup job as secondary target.
How can I setup the Tape Jobs at site B to read these copies ?

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Offsite Backup copy scheme

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Juan,

You can manage tape jobs from the Site A backup server in order to use as source backups, created by copy job.
Please review this discussion for additional information. Thanks!
itops
Enthusiast

Post by itops »

Hi Dmitry.
The thing is that our Site B backup server is also a tape server because we have to run tape jobs of Site B Local machines. If I give Site A Backup server tape server job of Site B I would not be able to manage site b local tape jobs.
Any other idea? Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

itops
Enthusiast

Post by itops »

Vladimir thanks for answer. I've try with dummy job but when creating these job, I cannot map copy backups as they are "imported" within the repo at site B. Is this correct?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

On backup server B:

- Add location where backup copy creates restore points as a backup repository
- Create a dummy job
- Point it the dummy job to the newly added backup repository
- Map the dummy job to the backups created by the backup copy job

Thanks.
itops
Enthusiast

Post by itops »

Yes I've try that but when I want to map Backups, there are no backups on the repository. Backups generated by Backup server A on site B figured as "Disk (imported)".
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There is certainly something strange going on. Kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them confirm your environment. Thanks.
itops
Enthusiast

Post by itops »

I've create a new case #03082913 and it's working as expected. Veeam support told me:

Backup copy jobs grab information based on the backup jobs that are running on the same backup server. In your case they backup copy jobs are on site B, looking for files from backup jobs from site A, which it cannot read. If you are wanting site B to perform the backup copy job, you would also need site B to run the normal backup job as well. This would be completely doable if your site B has your site A vCenter and repositories added, and then you can run most of your work from site B instead of site A. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for help
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

But where is the dummy backup job in the described scenario?

As mentioned, you need to:

- create an empty (dummy) backup job on the backup server B
- map this backup job to the backups created by backup copy job from site A
- create new backup copy job on a site B
- select the dummy backup job as a source for the newly created backup copy job

Thanks.