Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Krisztián

offline - DR - backup site

Post by holian »

Hi Folks,

We need some help to plan our DR site.

First of all, our IT structure:
- we have one phisycal server, two intel blade with vmware guest runnin’ on and one QNAP NAS (as file server again..)
- the vmware environment backed up by Veeam B&R and the phisycal server backed up with Veeam endpoint backup to the same repository. The NAS currently not backed up.
- The repository is on Synology NAS (2015DX)

What and why we are trying to plan:

- we would like to plan our DR site on different geo location
- this location is directly connected with live site via optical connection (gigabit bandwitch)
- the reason:
- we need an backup copy on different place because of nature disasters
- we need a copy of our backup if we got virus attack

Questions:

- is there any „whitepaper”; bestpractice about the structure?

We tougth the following:

- we buy an other NAS (QNAP or Synology)
- with this NAS will have 4 drive where we can schedule the backups separately by HDD (On WEEK A we backup to HDD1; On WEEK B we replicate to HDD2 ..and so on..the other HDDs are switched off or not spinnin..) So if we replicate a virus to the disk A then we have one week to realize we got virus, and we will still have a two week old backup…
- should use RSYNC?
- should we use Veeam Replication job? (But in this case, what about the QNAP nas? How to backup NAS content to Veeam repository)
- if we use Veeam Replication job to make backup to the DR site, should be problem with viruses? Any possibility if the computer runnin the veeam get virused will infect the DR site backup also?

How should you do to make differential / incremental backup from QNAP and SYNOLOGY to this new DR site. (One more problem: The Synology has mainly Veeam backup files (which is compressed files so i don’t know how to make differential/incremential backup from this)

Any suggestion how to do this? How should you do this?

Thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: offline - DR - backup site

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Krisztián,

if you have a gigabit connection to the second site and have enough time to transfer the data, you can add the Synology from second site as CIFS share to the Veeam Server. It is mandatory that you can not access the second synology from any other server and only a password protected CIFS share. This CIFS share and it´s password will be only added to the Veeam console (not the underlying operating system). That way nobody else can write to it.

Another option would be to buy a small server instead of the second NAS. Do not add this server to any other server or domain. Create a username and password and give only Veeam the Access by installing an Repository there. Use Windows Firewall (untrusted network) so that nobody else can access the server. Syntetic processes like Merges are processed internally within the site and do not flow through the WAN Link.

For both scenarios you can use a backup copy job to replicate the restorepoints to the second storage.

In case of the NAS filer. Maybe it is a option to create a new VM and add the NSA filer by VMware iSCSI (create vmdk based VM on it). That way you would be able to use the Veeam VM Backup process.
holian
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Krisztián

Post by holian »

Dear Andreas,

Thank your for your prompt answer, sorry for my late reply, i did not get any notification about your reply.

I think your first suggest may fit for us. The backup copy job is a new backup job or a copy directly from the backed up files? ( i don't want to load the servers twice for the same task..). Is it possible to make backup versioning? ( preserving a certain amount of version?)

For the NAS server i think we should use Real Time remote replication (if we decice with Qnap nas ) which is included in nas or maybee Rsync (if decide with Synology NAS).
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Here you can find all the needed informations:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

It is created out of the backup chain. You can have versions and weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly restore points as well.

I would not do replication on the storage level as you potentially replicate broken data if there was a storage corruption (bit rot).