We need some help to plan our DR site.
First of all, our IT structure:
- we have one phisycal server, two intel blade with vmware guest runnin’ on and one QNAP NAS (as file server again..)
- the vmware environment backed up by Veeam B&R and the phisycal server backed up with Veeam endpoint backup to the same repository. The NAS currently not backed up.
- The repository is on Synology NAS (2015DX)
What and why we are trying to plan:
- we would like to plan our DR site on different geo location
- this location is directly connected with live site via optical connection (gigabit bandwitch)
- the reason:
- we need an backup copy on different place because of nature disasters
- we need a copy of our backup if we got virus attack
- is there any „whitepaper”; bestpractice about the structure?
We tougth the following:
- we buy an other NAS (QNAP or Synology)
- with this NAS will have 4 drive where we can schedule the backups separately by HDD (On WEEK A we backup to HDD1; On WEEK B we replicate to HDD2 ..and so on..the other HDDs are switched off or not spinnin..) So if we replicate a virus to the disk A then we have one week to realize we got virus, and we will still have a two week old backup…
- should use RSYNC?
- should we use Veeam Replication job? (But in this case, what about the QNAP nas? How to backup NAS content to Veeam repository)
- if we use Veeam Replication job to make backup to the DR site, should be problem with viruses? Any possibility if the computer runnin the veeam get virused will infect the DR site backup also?
How should you do to make differential / incremental backup from QNAP and SYNOLOGY to this new DR site. (One more problem: The Synology has mainly Veeam backup files (which is compressed files so i don’t know how to make differential/incremential backup from this)
Any suggestion how to do this? How should you do this?