Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
v_user
Novice
Liked: never

How long should a Health Check take to run?

Post by v_user »

I have 3 veeam backup jobs that I am running additional backup copy jobs with. I am backing up locally to a Synology NAS then copying across a 50Mb link to another Synology NAS.

Job 1 - Full Backup = 120GB
Job 2 - Full Backup = 500GB
Job 3 - Full backup = 1.2TB

The health check on the 500GB backup took about 2.5 hours to run, the health check on the 1.2TB file has been running for 17 hours now and only completed 22%. Can anyone explain what the disparity would be between these two jobs and their running time? Would it be possible to have a option in the future to dismiss the health check and proceed with the job?

While on the topic of the backup copy jobs, I found the help information to be incredibly light on useful information. Even a basic explanation on how the jobs work would be beneficial. I'm still trying to figure out how the backup copy windows work and the lack of documentation and information is very frustrating.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: How long should a Health Check take to run?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi, Health check read out all data from the last restore point. So it will read many random reads from the storage. So the Storage can be the bottleneck.
Depending on your version and how you added the repository the server used for the health check and their network connection can be as well a bottleneck when WAN links are used.
Can you please describe how you added the Synology NAS ?
Any Veeam component placed behind a WAN Link?
10GbE or 1GbE?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

v_user wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how the backup copy windows work and the lack of documentation and information is very frustrating.
Do you mean the copy interval setting or the data transfer window?
v_user
Novice
Liked: never

Post by v_user »

Hi Andreas,

- I have Veeam running at the production site with a proxy installed at the remote site.
- The repositories have been added as CIFS with automatic gateway selection.
- I have a 50Mb link between the sites.

Foggy -

Sorry - I meant copy interval. If I set the job to copy every day, starting at 2am, when will the backup copy commence? At 2am, when the source backup completes or 24 hours after the first sync? And what happens when I have 3 separate backup jobs, will they run concurrently or in series?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Automatic GW Selection is the problem.
With v9 and earlier the B&R Server run all background tasks, with v9.5 the mount server.

Select the Proxy (same site as the CIFS share) as GW Server that should fix it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

v_user wrote:Sorry - I meant copy interval. If I set the job to copy every day, starting at 2am, when will the backup copy commence? At 2am, when the source backup completes or 24 hours after the first sync? And what happens when I have 3 separate backup jobs, will they run concurrently or in series?
Backup copy monitors the source backup files created within the interval and starts copying immediately once they appear. That's why it is typically recommended to set the interval to start several minutes after the source backup job starts, to optimize the overall backup window. If you have several source jobs, data will be processed for each of them when the corresponding backup files appear.