Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Kraken
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jaroslav Haken

Restored VM machine - name restrictions?

Post by Kraken »

Hi,

I've been testing recovery of VMs backed up by Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 (v9.5.0.823) - recovered VM goes to the same host and same datastore, just with a changed name (and disconnected network). In "Full VM Restore Wizard" I changed the name - it seems that some names can pass the wizard, but cause problems later. Let's assume the original name of VM is "VM-TEST":

VM-TEST -> VM-TEST_restored (using the wizard option) works fine as expected
VM-TEST -> [TEST] VM-TEST pass the wizard and allow launch the recovery. But the recovery ends with a message: Restore job failed Error: Cannot complete the operation because the file or folder [<datastore_name>] [TEST] VM-TEST already exists.

Which is a bit strange - because there was no such a file/directory on the datastore before the recovery began. So I suppose it happens because of "[]" in the new VM name.

To me it's not an issue - so I did not open Support case (but if local mods think it's a good idea even in this case, I will), because for disaster recovery tests I can use "predefined" names (adding "_restored" suffix) so in the end no problem (probably only alphanumeric characters are expected). Just asking if anyone has an experience with this, as I tried to google the issue, but found nothing.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Restored VM machine - name restrictions?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Jaroslav,

I jumped on my lab and performed 2 restores of the machine named “Backup”:
[Backup] – Restore complete
[TEST] Backup – Restore complete

The result of the test shows that there is no name restriction for using symbols like [].Do not hesitate to contact support team for further troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Kraken
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jaroslav Haken

Post by Kraken »

Solved. The problem occurred because Veeam was managing directly VM hosts, that were managed by vCenter server (which was not part of the configuration).

After correcting the configuration (access to VM hosts via vCenter only), problem did not appear any more.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Jaroslav,

It is important to know that all moRefIDs changed, since you have switched management of the hosts to the vCenter. It will trigger all backup jobs to perform an active full on the next run.
Please review existing thread with detailed information about vCenter and morefID

Thanks!