Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Which drivers are included?

Post by paallergy »

I understand that VEB only includes certain drivers when creating the recovery media. I would like to know which drivers are included when "Include hardware drivers from this computer" is checked.

Are only Microsoft drivers included?

Are all drivers, regardless of vendor, in C:\Windows\System32\drivers included?

I restored the C drive on a computer. I was able to use a USB keyboard and mouse during the recovery process. However, I had to use a serial keyboard and mouse after the recovery was done and the computer was restarted. Device Manager indicated there was a problem with "Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub" (warning triangle); however, Properties showed that the driver was installed. I re-installed the driver (from "Browse my computer"), and the USB keyboard and mouse worked.

This has happened now on 2 computers (same model).

I don't know if the problem was that the driver (iusb3hub.sys) was not included, or that the driver was included but the driver installation failed.

Case # 02064043
"We have no documentation that's any more specific than the user guide."
paallergy
Enthusiast

Re: Which drivers are included?

Post by paallergy » 1 person likes this post

User Guide:

"You can include the following drivers in the Veeam Recovery Media:

Drivers that are currently installed on your computer. Veeam Endpoint Backup detects hard disk controller drivers, network adapter drivers and USB controller drivers and includes them into the Veeam Recovery Media."

(bold emphasis mine)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jonathan,

As you read, not all drivers are included. We grab a specific set of drivers to make sure the recovery can be performed. Especially the HDD / NIC and some USB drivers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub is a X ports USB device card installed in a desktop? I am pretty sure that those specific drivers won't be captured. What happens at that point in time is that Windows (not us) will try to use a standard driver to start it (which fails as you noticed) so you need to install it afterwards.

What surprises me, is that you were able to use the keyboard and mouse during the recovery process. That means (at least if you used the same HUB device) that it can actually work with basic drivers also, but when back in full windows it isn't enough anymore.

Last but not least, what you can try to do, is when you start a recovery, add that specific driver when booted on the recovery media (you can do that under tools) and see if that fixes the problem.

Let us know

Mike
paallergy
Enthusiast

Post by paallergy »

I don't know if these USB ports are connected to a card or to the motherboard. The keyboard and mouse were connected to the 2 USB ports on the rear, so I'm guessing it's the motherboard. I will open the case and check.

The computer is an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF:
Front:
(2) USB 2.0 ports
(2) USB 3.0 ports
Rear:
(4) USB 2.0 ports
(2) USB 3.0 ports

The USB driver that was installed at recovery time (but failed) was the correct driver. It was an Intel driver, not a Microsoft driver. I reinstalled the same driver (and same version) after the recovery process, and that resolved the problem post recovery. I'm trying to solve the problem during recovery.

[Another option is to plug in the USB keyboard and mouse in another set of USB ports to see if that works]

I'm trying to find out from Veeam if the correct USB driver was already included in the recovery media and installed during recovery. If so, it won't help to include the same driver again.

Are there logs that indicate which drivers are included when the recovery media is created?
Are there logs that indicated which drivers are installed during the recovery process?
Which "specific set of drivers" are included?
Are only Microsoft drivers included?
Are all drivers, regardless of vendor, in C:\Windows\System32\drivers included?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No, not all drivers are included as far as I know.

We only select a set of drivers that are needed to perform the BMR, and afterwards, the other drivers should be in the backup image.

Can I ask you to log a support call? No promises made but maybe the engineers can figure out why it fails after a recovery

Thanks
Mike
paallergy
Enthusiast

Post by paallergy »

A support case was opened (see first post)
paallergy
Enthusiast

Post by paallergy »

Are there logs that indicate which drivers are included when the recovery media is created?
Are there logs that indicated which drivers are installed during the recovery process?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jonathan,

I'll try to get that information but I don't know at this moment
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

During recovery media creation hard disk controller drivers, network adapter drivers and USB controller drivers installed in your operating system are collected automatically (by default). Basically, the same driver version should be listed in windows device manager.

Additionally, you can include drivers as files during RE creation. Keep in mind that these drivers should be installed manually via Tools > Load drivers utility while booted under RE. With this option, you can include any type of driver.
C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\UI.RecoveryImageWizard.log
Should be located in your backup repository and you can download logs directly from RE (Tools > Export Logs)
paallergy
Enthusiast

Post by paallergy »

Thank you for the location of the log files.

I found the driver in UI.RecoveryImageWizard.log:

Code: Select all

[03.06.2015 18:18:26] <06> Info     [CCopyAdditionalFilesAction] Copying additional file 'iusb3hub.inf_amd64_neutral_3e78a8d70b5d70f1'

I also found  the following lines for 'iusb3hub.inf_amd64_neutral_3e78a8d70b5d70f1' in UI.VolumeRecoveryWizard.log:
[08.02.2017 13:22:09] <10> Info     [CDriverInstaller] Open inf file 'X:\Drivers\iusb3hub.inf_amd64_neutral_3e78a8d70b5d70f1\iusb3hub.inf'
[08.02.2017 13:22:09] <10> Info     [CDriverInfoExtrator] Extracting hardware id list from inf file X:\Drivers\iusb3hub.inf_amd64_neutral_3e78a8d70b5d70f1\iusb3hub.inf
[08.02.2017 13:24:25] <05> Info     [CDriverInstaller] Open inf file 'X:\Drivers\iusb3hub.inf_amd64_neutral_3e78a8d70b5d70f1\iusb3hub.inf'
[08.02.2017 13:24:25] <05> Info     [CDriverInfoExtrator] Extracting hardware id list from inf file X:\Drivers\iusb3hub.inf_amd64_neutral_3e78a8d70b5d70f1\iusb3hub.inf
What do I need to look for to see if the driver was installed successfully by VEB?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Boot Veeam Recovery Media, go to Tools > Load drivers and check devices in the list.
paallergy
Enthusiast

Post by paallergy »

I should have asked:
What do I need to look for in the logs to see if the driver was installed successfully by VEB during the restore process?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Take a look at the recovery log. It's should be placed in repository where backup file is located.
paallergy
Enthusiast

Post by paallergy »

What text string do I look for in the recovery log that will show that the driver was or was not installed successfully?