Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vsan-tech
Novice
Liked: never

VSAN Restore requirements

Post by vsan-tech »

Hi, are there any specific restore requirements or procedures when restoring to a VMware VSAN datastore (unlike a regular SAN or NAS datastore)?

Regards
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: VSAN Restore requirements

Post by DGrinev »

Hi vsan-tech and welcome to the community.

There are no specific requirements or procedures, you can safely use vSAN as a target for restore, like any other shared storage.
Just to make sure we are on the same page: can you elaborate a bit more on what requirements you're after?

Please review existing discussion Using VSAN in production as it can be useful as well.

Thanks!
vsan-tech
Novice

Post by vsan-tech »

Ok thanks. I've worked with VSAN for ages but not with Veeam B&R and have just started playing around with it. Can't do a restore to my VSAN datastore but it went just fine to my NFS datastore so that's why I asked. I'll poke around som more.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What's the error message when you're using vSAN as a restore target?
vsan-tech
Novice

Post by vsan-tech »

"Error Restore job failed Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied"
Info [VimApi] Create directory, datastore ref "datastore-120294", directory name "VM_restored"
<01> Error <NoPermissionFault xmlns="urn:vim25" xsi:type="NoPermission"

Permissions are identical for NFS and vSAN datastores. The problem seem to be related to creating the top-level folder.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh, ok! Yes, there might be a different set of permissions required. I thought that you have an error message unrelated to the security model.