Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

9.5 Update 1 instructions missing a bit of info

Post by philfreund »

I just upgraded from 9.5 base to 9.5 Update 1 and found that the upgrade procedure notes are missing a few things.

1. I used the steps in the note and followed all of the steps as stated. However, I found that that I had to do another server reboot after applying the update since the Veeam Backup Service didn't restart. (At least 3 of the services didn't restart.) Everything went smoothly after that.

2. There's no note indicating that if you have Enterprise Manager installed, you need to run the Update 1 upgrade against it.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: 9.5 Update 1 instructions missing a bit of info

Post by Mike Resseler »

Phil,

What notes are you referring to?
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

KB 2222 Release Notes for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 1
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Phil,

Normally the entire procedure is described in the release notes (the other is a KB article) which can be found here: https://www.veeam.com/pdf/release_notes ... tes_en.pdf

But I do believe that the services should have been restarted so there might have gone something wrong during the upgrade. Is everything now working as expected?
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

Everything is running fine now. Just had to do the extra reboot to get the services started. BTW, this happened on both of my servers that I had to upgrade.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks for letting me know. Any change that you still remember exactly what services didn't start (I have a feeling that they tried to start but that another service was not available so they timed-out
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

I don't remember all of them but I do remember that besides the Veeam Backup Service, the Veeam Installer Service wasn't started.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Again, thanks Phil. We take these kind of things very serious (trust me on that one) so we investigate issues all the time and the more information we get... Well, you know ;-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Mike Resseler wrote:But I do believe that the services should have been restarted so there might have gone something wrong during the upgrade.
Not restarted, just started (by the update installer) as services should be stopped for the duration of the update. And if the installer cannot start services. If reboot was required, perhaps the services simply were not stopped before the update?
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

I had actually followed the instructions and shutdown all of the services before applying the update. Thus they didn't all start until I did the reboot.

BTW, how was I supposed to find the full Release Notes? There is no link to them in the KB.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

philfreund wrote:Thus they didn't all start until I did the reboot.
Update setup always starts the services before exiting, or tells you if reboot is required due to locked files - thus the KB article itself does not instruct you to perform the reboot.

I don't recall any other users reporting issue similar to yours, so I can only assume it could have been something environment-specific, for example antivirus preventing the service from starting. We may be able to find the reason if you send us the MSI log file (it will show whether the service was started successfully from the OS perspective).

And you were not supposed to find the Release Notes because you don't need them to install the update (the KB article has all the info). That said, all product documentation can always be found in Veeam Help Center