Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pmalinov
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

VM Restore

Post by pmalinov »

So we had to go back and pull a VM from tape backups. We do need to restore the entire VM without affecting the production one. It is a SQL server VM so you can imagine what two SQl servers will do if they both come up with the same name.

Anyways, here is what I have done so far and what I need some help with:

1. Restore the VM file from tapes --> DONE
2. The VM now appears under Disk (imported)
3. Right click on the VM under Disk imported and select Instant VM recovery --> can I really do that and run the VM from there without having to import into my VMware SAN?
3. Can I leave the VM with the same name, but leave the "Connect VM to Network" checkbox unchecked?

Ideally I would like to run the restored VM from the backup file directly --> Start the restored VM in my production environment without affecting my prod SQL box --> Login to the restored VM and start my SQL application --> Recover my files --> Export my files outside of the isolated recovered VM --> Close and forget about this

Am I being too optimistic or is the above scenario achievable?

Please guide me so I dont do anything stupid and overwrite production server.

Thank you
antman157
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Anthony Jones

Re: VM Restore

Post by antman157 »

I don't believe it will let you keep the name the same, it will give you an error the name already exists, do you want to overwrite.

You could do an instant recovery, I usually name it servername_ir. Then I don't connect it to any networks. Once the server is powered on, I login and get whatever files I need or backups from SQL. Then you can change the IP to a static, connect it to your production network or an isolated network, and connect to the Server, grad the files, then stop publishing the instant recovery.

Just how I might attempt the recovery.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

I wonder if it will be fine if I rename the VM. My SQL app will be looking for the server name to connect to.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

It might be that the restore is a bit more complicated, but now that you have that VM under disk (imported) can you right click on it and choose Restore Application Items -> SQL?
Items (or files) can also be restored from that backup on disk in case you need it. And there is still the universal air wizard or explorer that you can download (see here: https://www.veeam.com/pdf/release_notes ... tes_en.pdf)

Just a thought
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

I need to be logged into the server and open an application in order to have a user identify which files he needs restored. This is a SQL back-end application and the only way this user can tell me which files he needs is by looking inside this app...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The procedure you've described in your original post is correct.