Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Does VEB benefit from REFS?

Post by yasuda »

I've been reading about how Server 2016 and REFS repositories increase the speed of incremental merges. Is Veeam Endpoint able to take advantage of REFS?

Scenario 1: Backup target is an SMB share on Server 2016 with REFS
Scenario 2: Backup target is a VBR 9.5 repository on Server 2016 with REFS

We have multiple VEB backups going to a Server 2008 SMB share, which is a DROBO, and the merge operations are getting very slow. My last one took over 4 hours to merge a 4 GB incremental.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Does VEB benefit from REFS?

Post by jmmarton »

Since VEB is a forever forward incremental backup, no, it can't really take advantage of ReFS--yet. :-) With the upcoming Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 release, there will be options to configure backup methods (including in the free version). Once you configure synthetic fulls then they should take advantage of ReFS when going to a VBR 9.5 repository (may require 9.5 update 1).

Joe
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Just a clarification, there are two advantages from refs integration: one is spaceless GFS as Joe noted, but also during transform there is a heavy reduction of I/O since now it's more metadata updates, and I believe this is what Peter was referring to. Forever incremental doesn't give any space reduction when using refs, but surely can benefit from I/O-less transform operations, the same used to run VEB backups. This said, final list of features is not available yet so I'll let to our product management to comment on refs compatibility.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

It should be possible to use VEB 1.5 with ReFS now but it won’t provide any additional functionality.

Joe is right regarding the upcoming v2.0. In order to get all the benefits from ReFS repository VAW 2.0 must use Veeam Backup and Replication as a backup destination with ReFS as a VBR repository.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

And what about local ReFS - why it would not be supported there, considering it is the same exact data mover used in both cases?
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda »

Thank you everyone for the info. Luca is correct; the I/O-less transforms is the main thing I was looking for. We have enough raw storage capacity; it's the duration of merges that is the problem. It makes VEB useless for our engineers because they are only in the office a couple hours at a time. I already made a feature request to have the merge process handled offline by the backup server, so the VEB agent only needs to be connected long enough to complete the incremental backup.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Gostev wrote:And what about local ReFS - why it would not be supported there, considering it is the same exact data mover used in both cases?
That would require VAW 2.0 as well, wouldn't it? Since VEB 1.5 isn't supported on Server 2016?

Joe
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Joe,

True. We are dicussing this option with the dev team.
Eamonn Deering
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: EamonnD

Post by Eamonn Deering »

I'm testing Veeam Agent Beta 2.0.0.595 Free Edition and backing up a local volume to a Veeam B@R ReFS Repo. Only option I see is "Active Full Backup". No Synthetic Backup option. I have it set to do a full every day.

Each backup looks to be taking up the full space. No zero byte backup.

Is there ReFS support for any version of the Agent?

Thanks
Eamonn
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

No Synthetic Backup option. I have it set to do a full every day.
Free edition does not have synthetic full option. Workstation or Server edition is required.
Is there ReFS support for any version of the Agent?
BETA supports fast merge when ReFS is added as VBR repo. GA will support fast merge for direct backup to ReFS location.
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] Endpoint and Fastclone merges (ReFS integration)

Post by Keyser »

I have some Veeam Endpoint clients pointed to a 9.5 B&R Repository using ReFS om server 2016 for use of the fastclone technology.

My B&R backup jobs uses the FastClone tech just fine, but my Endpoint backup jobs still uses a very long time to merge the oldest incremental into the full file. And I see no reference to fastclone being used.
Is Fastclone not supported with Endpoint backup jobs?

-Keyser
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Keyser,

VEB knows nothing about ReFS, so no additional functionality is supported in the existing versions. Regarding upcoming functionality of VAW 2.0, kindly, check this thread.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

[MERGED]Veeam EP 2.0 with ReFS?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Does Veeam EP 2.0 work with ReFS on Windows Server 2016?

(I see that your competitor Storage Craft's latest product Shadow Protect SPX doesn't support ReFS!!!)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi AlexLeadingEdge,

VEB supports ReFS without any benefits. Upcoming VAW 2.0 will have advanced functionality while ReFS is used as a target.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi, thanks for the quick reply! I mixed up my terms when I said VEB 2.0, I was meaning the new Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW) 2.0 Beta.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

That’s ok. Our dev guys are sill using Endpoint name internally :mrgreen: