Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fpiscopo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank Piscopo

Chaining backup jobs in B&R 5.0

Post by fpiscopo »

I have B&R 5.0 running on some old hardware. While the amount of data to back up was relatively low, chaining of backup jobs could be managed by judicious setting of schedules to prevent running multiple jobs in parallel. But now that data has grown substantially, jobs are of course taking longer to complete, and scheduling has become a bit of a hit and miss affair, frequently causing jobs to run in parallel and bringing the backup server to a near grinding halt, causing the normal backup routines to disk and tape to overflow into the regular office working hours and consequently causing the main hardware to perform in non-optimal conditions. Increasing the spacing in schedules is not an option because that would have the same overflowing effect and this would not be fully utilising the idle hours.

I've practically looked everywhere but couldn't find anything to help me with this. So I thought I'd bring my problem to the forum.

Is there a way to chain backup jobs in B&R 5.0?

Thank you very much for any information you may have.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Chaining backup jobs in B&R 5.0

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Frank and welcome to the community!
Answering your question: there was no job chaining option back to v5.
Recently jib chaining is not considered as best practice any way as jobs work better in parallel.
And of course your backups will work much much faster if you upgrade to newer versions.
Thanks!
fpiscopo
Novice

Post by fpiscopo »

Thanks for the reply Shestakov. That's unfortunate. Is B&R accessible via the command line? I couldn't find anything in Help on this either.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Veeam Backup & Replication comes with PowerShell extension — a snap-in to Microsoft Windows PowerShell 2.0. The Veeam Backup PowerShell snap-in allows you to do almost all operations that are available in the user interface.
fpiscopo
Novice

Post by fpiscopo »

Thanks a lot for that, Shestakov. That'll certainly be very helpful and opens the possibility of chaining jobs through the "Post job activity" option.
fpiscopo
Novice

Post by fpiscopo »

I apologise, Nikita, for not addressing you by your first name. I did not realise that the users' full name is shown in the panels to the right. Thanks again.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

No worries, Frank. Since my last name equals username, that`s fine.
That'll certainly be very helpful and opens the possibility of chaining jobs through the "Post job activity" option.
As far as I remember you may just write the jobs name in the post-job activity to start the next job once this one is finished.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Basically, you have to write a simple script similar to the following, save it and set as post-job activity:

Code: Select all

Asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Get-VBRJob -name "Name of job to execute" | Start-VBRJob
Thanks.