Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JardaCZ
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

VAW backup to VBR repository failed

Post by JardaCZ »

Dear experts,

I installed Veeam Agent or Windows (VAW) to server called "SRV-REMOTE".
We use Veeam Backup and Replication (VBR) on server called "SRV-CORP" with NAS repository.

what I already did:
VBR is 9.5 with Update 1 installed.
I checked, that there is "allow to everyone" selected under "agent backup permissions" within the repository.
I added agent licence to VBR.
I set-up NAT of ports 10001 and 2500-5000 (TCP) to point "SRV-CORP". I also disabled firewall on "SRV-CORP".
I can see "agents" under jobs on VBR and its jobs (Windows Agent Backup).
I added registry key "ConnectByIPsTimeoutSec" with value "1000" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup

And now the problem:
When I run the job on agent, if fails after 2 minutes with "ERROR: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2500"

Can you help?

Regards,
Jarda
JardaCZ
Service Provider

Re: VAW backup to VBR repository failed

Post by JardaCZ »

Case # 02096627
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jarda,
I set-up NAT of ports 10001 and 2500-5000 (TCP) to point "SRV-CORP". I also disabled firewall on "SRV-CORP".
VAW / VEB does not support backup to the Veeam B&R repository behind NAT. You should configure direct access from agent to the repository.

Another option might be to use Veeam Cloud Connect repository as a target for your agent.
jmv
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jmv »

Hello
This will be possible in version 2.1 ?
Our Veeam repository is behind firewall also, and Veeam Agent can´t find it.
Any workaround?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jmv,

Unfortunately, no updates. We still recommend to use backup to a Veeam Cloud Connect repository if you want to bypass NAT. Have you tried to use Veeam Cloud Connect solution? Thanks.
Fatboy40
Influencer
Full Name: Clive Arnold

Post by Fatboy40 »

Hi Dima,

Just to add that you have another customer here that would love to backup a remote system using the agent to our internal Veeam B&R server, Veeam Cloud Connect can be very expensive.

The example I have is we've setup static NAT for only port 10001 to our internal Veeam B&R server, and we have a web server in a data center with a public IP that we wish to backup to the static NAT / published IP. The repository can be seen OK but we get the same error as the OP, the backup times out.

Currently, as the above is not supported by Veeam, would a site to site / client VPN need to be used by a remote computer? Also is supporting agents connecting to an internal Veeam B&R server over static NAT a feature you will be implementing in the future?

Thanks.
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

I have the same problem when trying to perform a backup copy job to VBR from remote repository. I have to open a VPN connection to get the backup to run.
XFCTech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vincent S.

Post by XFCTech »

I am currently testing the Product. My setup is using an Internal Server in our own Datacenter for the main Veeam Backup. Then I have created a VPN Between that machine and the clients server. Since the customer's Subnet was 192.168.1.1 and we had another customer with that subnet... I had their router Nat it from 192.168.1.1 to 10.10.1.1.

Now when the agent is in control it worked no problem. When I tried to back up using the backup server I ran into a issue. After reading the Logs it was looking for a "Host" and couldn't ping it.. which our Veeam Server is not part of a domain and had a simple name like "VeeamServer" our Host name wasn't traveling over the VPN.

Looking through settings when you let the agent be in control you can point it to an IP Address.. when you allow the server to manage it their is no way to change it to looking up an IP. Called up and support stated anything using NAT is no supported... So since I don't want to give up on the product I added in the Clients Machine Host that VeeamServer = the IP address. This is an test. Currently it is backing up. The Next test is to see if it will recover. If this works I will then Fix the Host name naturely not pinging through the VPN.

Will keep you updated... but If you were going from Agent to Veeam Backup server this worked no problem for us.. but if you are going to have mulitple customers you would want to use the Veeam Centeral Backup server to control it I would think...