Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

DR site setup

Post by ashman70 »

I am going to be deploying a new host to a DR site, I am just wondering if I should first setup the host at the production site, replicate all the production VM's to it and then take it to the DR site so it won't have to do full replicas over the slower 100MB connection? I will be upgrading from Veeam Enterprise to Veeam Enterprise plus so I'll have use of the WAN accelerators, although I've never used them before. Does it require that I have a veeam console setup at my DR site? I guess that would kind of make sense...:-).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: DR site setup

Post by foggy »

ashman70 wrote:I am going to be deploying a new host to a DR site, I am just wondering if I should first setup the host at the production site, replicate all the production VM's to it and then take it to the DR site so it won't have to do full replicas over the slower 100MB connection?
Yes, this is a recommended approach.
ashman70 wrote: I will be upgrading from Veeam Enterprise to Veeam Enterprise plus so I'll have use of the WAN accelerators, although I've never used them before. Does it require that I have a veeam console setup at my DR site? I guess that would kind of make sense...:-).
You can have Veeam B&R console pretty much anywhere, though a good practice is to have a backup server itself located in the target site to allow for automatic failovers.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

I guess since I'll be changing the IP's of the DR server, I'll have to remove it and add it back into the Veeam console, correct?

Also if I choose to set Veeam up at the DR site, is there anything I need to be concerned about in terms of confusion between running two consoles at different sites?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

ashman70 wrote:I guess since I'll be changing the IP's of the DR server, I'll have to remove it and add it back into the Veeam console, correct?
You can use this workaround instead.
ashman70 wrote:Also if I choose to set Veeam up at the DR site, is there anything I need to be concerned about in terms of confusion between running two consoles at different sites?
Do you mean you will have two Veeam B&R server instances, not just two management consoles? In this case, just keep in mind that they will not know about each other, so if the same servers are involved in both instances' activity, keep them at the same patch level and plan the load accordingly.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Well I am thinking it makes sense to have a Veem backup server at the DR site with the Veeam console installed, that way if the production site goes down, I have the means to see the environment and facilitate fail overs and backups if necessary.

One other question, currently I have backup copy jobs running to an external drive at the production site, can I also configure backup copy jobs to the DR site as well?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,
I guess since I'll be changing the IP's of the DR server, I'll have to remove it and add it back into the Veeam console, correct?
It depends on how you added DR server by hostname and then you don't need to change anything or IP then you should reconfigure the replication job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

ashman70 wrote:One other question, currently I have backup copy jobs running to an external drive at the production site, can I also configure backup copy jobs to the DR site as well?
Yes, and they can also use WAN acceleration, if required.