Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pixel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio Ettorre

Virtual Lab without Surebackup Job

Post by pixel »

Hi,
i'm writing to know if is possible to use one virtual lab indipendently from the surebackup job.
Cause I want to create one lab to test some new feature in our environment but have the systems in state of poweron for also one week.
I tried to check the feature to keep the application group running after the job completes but suddenly after 2 days all the VM will poweroff

Do you know if is it possible to use the virtual lab with its feature to create the isolation network without using Surebackup Job and attach to its virtual machine from backup?

Greetings,
Antonio
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Virtual Lab without Surebackup Job

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Antonio.
pixel wrote:Cause I want to create one lab to test some new feature in our environment but have the systems in state of poweron for also one week.
I tried to check the feature to keep the application group running after the job completes but suddenly after 2 days all the VM will poweroff
What happens is that if you run your backup job, it will stop all SureBackup jobs to unlock backup files. If you avoid running backup jobs that create backup files you are using, the application group will run forever. To achieve that, you could create separate backup jobs with required VMs only, and run them manually as needed versus automatically on schedule.
pixel wrote:Do you know if is it possible to use the virtual lab with its feature to create the isolation network without using Surebackup Job and attach to its virtual machine from backup?
Yes, SureBackup jobs are not required. You can create required isolated network manually, and use Instant VM Recovery to publish required VMs. Before starting these VMs, open vSphere client and manually change published VMs network settings to use isolated VLAN you have created earlier. The only thing to keep in mind here is that this way you will loose your proxy appliance, and will need to implement routing between production and isolated networks (if this is even needed) using some other means.

Thanks!
pixel
Novice

Post by pixel »

Gostev wrote: What happens is that if you run your backup job, it will stop all SureBackup jobs to unlock backup files. If you avoid running backup jobs that create backup files you are using, the application group will run forever. To achieve that, you could create separate backup jobs with required VMs only, and run them manually as needed versus automatically on schedule.
OK.
Just to complete the information, on this lab he did'nt link any backup job but just have one application group running, that include some wm from jobs of backup.
And all this vm are take from imported job of backup that aren't scheduled on server. So i think to be in the condition that you are described.
Or its is necessary that no other job of backup running during the surebackup job?
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

No, it is not necessary to stop backup jobs which don't use backups needed for your application group.

Are you having any error messages during surebackup sessions?
pixel
Novice

Post by pixel »

Alexey D. wrote:Are you having any error messages during surebackup sessions?
No, i can see any error on logs of session
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Ok, please send all the logs to our support team, we need more information to help you. Thanks!
pixel
Novice

Post by pixel »

I decide to use IstantRecovery and perform one manual lab so i can chose also the restor point to use, unfortunaly I have one error using powershell and so i open a new post, please close this post, many thank
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

[MERGED] Virtual Sandbox testing VM changes and reboots

Post by cffit »

I love VEEAM B&R and how I can boot up copies of production VMs and test service packs, patches and configs of them. However, many of the things I want to test require reboots, and last time I tried this, every time I reboot it reverts me back to the initial backed up VM. Is there a way around this or has this changed with recent versions?

Also, can you test hardware changes with this method? I have a VM that I need to test changing from 4 virtual sockets with 1 virtual each for CPU to 1 virtual socket with 4 virtual cores. Can I test this with using VEEAM's sandbox capability?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Christensen, please take a look at Anton's suggestion above, should do the trick!