Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Feature request - Several gateway servers for repository

Post by signal »

It should be possible to select several gateway servers for a repository.

Having e.g. two backup proxy servers that are identical and a shared storage solution (NAS) that both can reach equally should be possible to specify those two only. This could be a third option, or it could be a continuation of "The following server" where one is able to select more than one option.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature request - Several gateway servers for repository

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Could you please provide more details on the use case? In which case do you expect VBR server to switch from one gateway to another and back?

Thanks
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I've heard rumor that in 9.5 this will be addressed.

I'm not sure if it is due to multiple streams going into a single backup file, but I wish each proxy could write directly to the NAS and not need a gateway server at all, as it seems like a single point of failure to me.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Gateway is needed to host the Veeam Data Mover Service. If the gateway server role is not assigned explicitly Veeam chooses it automatically so the service will be deployed anyway.
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by signal »

The use case is a setup where the VMware and backup systems are in one network zone, and the production VM's are in other zones. To reach the production networks there are dedicated guest interaction proxies in the zones, but they can only be reached by the backup server.
The backup server is a virtual machine, and a set of dedicated physical servers are used as backup proxies, allowing backup traffic to flow over fibre channel as opposed to network. In an ideal setting the proxy servers would be the gateways and data movers.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Ok, now I see. In case with backup jobs that can be solved with the automatic gateway selection and usage of the proxy affinity feature which is available in 9.5
dale_roberts
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dale Roberts

[MERGED] [Feature Request] Gateway Control

Post by dale_roberts »

I would like to see the ability to define which Veeam servers can act as Gateway servers.

My use cases for this would be:
  • I could ensure only the servers with plenty of memory are used as gateway servers
  • I can ensure only the servers "close" to my storage (we have a LAN stretched across DCs so Veeam can't figure this out) act as gateways
  • I can re-use older hardware with lots of memory and have, effectively, HA protection against hardware failure by letting Veeam decide which gateway servers to use (i.e. any still up and responding) without Veeam then making the wrong choices about repository locality or the like.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Dale, so you're after specifying a pool of gateway servers, right? Somewhat similar to the above request, so I'm merging the threads.
dale_roberts
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dale Roberts

Post by dale_roberts »

foggy wrote:Hi Dale, so you're after specifying a pool of gateway servers, right? Somewhat similar to the above request, so I'm merging the threads.
Yes, If I could add specific Veeam servers to a "gateway pool" and then assign that as the gateway for my repositories that would achieve what I'm after.

Someone further up the thread mentions
In case with backup jobs that can be solved with the automatic gateway selection and usage of the proxy affinity feature which is available in 9.5
. We're running the latest Veeam so have that available but it doesn't achieve what I'm after I'm afraid. I won't bore people with the details on the whys and wherefores.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Understood. Thanks for the feedback.
davidrnexon
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Rodriguez

Post by davidrnexon »

Hi, has there been any updates to manually specifying a group of backup repository gateways without having to use Automatic gateway selection ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi David, nothing to share at the moment.
cb1ocker
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Jeremy Francis

Post by cb1ocker »

Adding to this thread as this seems related to this request.

I've been struggling with large agent backups from remote sites to a central data center over slow MPLS links, and I think the ability to assign multiple gateways to a repository, and also be able to select which gateway performs which tasks, would solve all of my issues. I'm using Data Domain for my repositories, but the DDBOOST dedupe happens between the gateway and the repository, so the only way I can get these backups to complete is to build a gateway server at the remote site and assign it as the gateway for the local repository. This allows dedupe to work well enough before traversing the link to allow the backups to complete. The problem with this is that other tasks related to the job also now need to use that remote gateway, such as creating synthetic fulls or performing health checks. In my case, because of the super slow links, these tasks would take days or weeks to complete in this setup.

If I could assign the remote gateway to perform backup and restore tasks, and assign a gateway local to the Data Domain to perform synthetic full creation and health checks, I would finally be able to move away from my old backup software.
mattiamigliorati
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mattia

[MERGED] Feature Request - Gateway Pools

Post by mattiamigliorati » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

I was thinking that it could be an improvement to have the opportunity to create custom "Gateway Server Pool" to indentify which Proxies could act as a gateway server for a given repository.
In a case of off-site repository where I would have 2 or more dedicated gateway server for it, like a SMB share, as an example.
Right now, if I want to specify a server I can just set one.

More scalable,load balanced, fault tolerant...
Agree ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request - Gateway Pools

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
agree - but I cannot tell you when we will have that feature :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
hadus
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Martin Jeppesen

Post by hadus »

just stumbled on this thread. Would love a gateway server pool feature too
SSSSSStorage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: T C

Post by SSSSSStorage »

bumping up - This would still be a great feature to have when restores are required when backup copy jobs are running as the gateway server resources are maxed out.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it's available since almost a year (version 12) :-)

Best regards,
Hannes