Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
QTech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: QTech

Feature Request: Restart Failed Backup Objects

Post by QTech »

Morning,

Apologies if this is already requested somewhere on the following pages.
Would it be possible to have an option on failed full backups to "restart failed objects" in the same manner as on HP Data Protector tape backup? This will save us an immense amount of time and tape wear. At present I have to restart the full backup job from the beginning, having erased the tapes that were part of the failed full backup job.

Would it also be possible to more adequately handle tape drive contention. We have a single robot with two drives. Sometimes one drive can be in use with Data Protector, very occasionally both tape drives, and some times the robot is moving tapes - This generally either causes a hardware error on the tape robot, or complete failure of the Veeam tape backup job. If it could wait and retry that would be fantastic.

We seem to have to long-erase all our tapes too, otherwise the backup jobs fail.
We seem to have to use fresh tapes too - Tapes with part-backups stored therein (Veeam backups) cause the backup job to fail.

Many thanks.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Re: Feature Request: Restart Failed Backup Objects

Post by nunciate »

I would also like the ability to restart failed tape jobs. I have some very large tape jobs that fail from time to time. I have to restart them all the time and do them all over. I have had some large tape jobs (10Tb single server) fail after 90% and then had to restart from the beginning. Really annoying...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,
Thanks for bringing this up: this feature is (or was, until this post) in the long term list. We will take it to the next version's feature discussions :wink:
wgrixti
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Grixti

Post by wgrixti »

Any update on this? I am running V9 Update 1 and the option does not seem to be available. Very painful to start the whole backup to tape process again if something causes it to fail during the job.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by aleksandr.markovskij »

Hello, i have the same problem, found this thread. Is this already implemented or not?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Nope, nothing has changed since the last reply, the said functionality is yet to be implemented. Thanks.