Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

Option > Remove from disk

Post by dcampregher »

Hello,

After exclude a large VM from one JOB, i can't wait the 15 days specified in the the "Remove deleted VMs" to the VM data be purged from inside the VBK file.

Is there an option to speed up the cleanup process of the VBK file instead of be waiting ?

The impact is that the Merge ( Forever Forward Incremental Backup is used ) and the data previsouly created for this large VM are impacting on the time do finish the Merge.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Option > Remove from disk

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Why not to set it to 1 day instead of 14?

Thanks
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

Beacause the RP is set to 14.

So, what the option Remove From Disk at the Restore interface.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please check this page (Example 1). If you set "Remove deleted VMs" value to X then the VM will be removed form the backup on the X's day (given that the job will start on that day).
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

I know this option but i cannot change this because it is a "security" step for errors in a configurarion ( if an user remove a wrong VM from the JOB Configuration ). So i need to know what is the impact of the option "Remove From Disk" option inside the GUI on the "Backup > Disk > JOB > VM " with an Standard Edition and how it works.

Do you understand ?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

If you choose "Delete from disk" option the backup will be irreversibly deleted from the repository. Regarding "security" step - you can change the value, start compact operation and change the value back to 14.
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

OK.

I think only the VM Data where i click "Remove From Disk" will be removed from inside the VBK file, right ? All other VM Data from inside this VBK file will be keep ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If per-VM backup chains option is not enabled, the "Remove From Disk" command doesn't actually deletes anything, it just marks VBK file blocks belonging to that VM as free so that they could be re-used by the job in future.
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

[MERGED] Retention of VMs no longer backupped

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi
The docs explain how you can set a retention on a job, so that if you remove a VM from a backup job, it will be deleted after x days. However, for use this doesn't work as desired (I think, but might be wrong).

If my backup job has 14 restore points set and my customers asks for VM01 & VM02 to be removed, but they want VM01 immediately removed (unimportant VM and they don't want to pay for the storage) and VM02 to be removed after 30 days. How would I do this?

Could I maybe change the retention per VM by using PowerShell?

Gabrie
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Retention of VMs no longer backupped

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Gabrie,

You cannot immediately free up storage space by deleting VMs from the backup, so they will have to pay for the consumed storage until you run new full or compact operation (depending on where you want to delete backups from). Please read this existing topic for other clarifications.

Thanks!