PowerShell script exchange
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Speed up Add-VBRBackupToTapeJob? (Takes 4 hours when busy)

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi...

I have our Veeam DB now living on a proper SQL DB server but when the backup server is busy running our full backups (synthetic fulls if it matters) the time taken to process the creation of a tape job can blow out to 3-4 hours... Refer below to see what I mean

Code: Select all

25-03-2017 21:53:45 - ARBStartTapeBackup::FullBackup: Creating Tape Job with Name TapeJob-Week5-P2-ARBBackup-ARBTS01
26-03-2017 01:49:37 - ARBStartTapeBackup::Start-Process -FilePath SQLCmd ...
I have gone through the powershell logs and cannot see anything that would explain the delay.. I see the call being made and then it just takes hours to return. Could it be that the powershell commands are being scheduled on the backup proxy and are waiting for a 'slot' to execute?

Reason why I ask is that it works just fine when i simulate it during the day, its just when the machine is loaded up that this issue occurs.

Is there a way to 'reserve' some processing power for powershell commands as waiting 4 hours to return a command is not ideal

Cheers,
Aaron
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Speed up Add-VBRBackupToTapeJob? (Takes 4 hours when bus

Post by veremin »

And the said behaviour cannot be reproduced via GUI? If you try to create the very same job through backup console, does it hang or not?

Powershell cmdlets communicate with db and rely mostly on a performance it can guarantee. So, in case of delays I'd start my investigation with verifying the db itself either myself or with the assistance of support engineer (the recommended approach).

Thanks.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Post by aaron@ARB »

I will test it via the GUi this weekend when the full backups run again this weekend.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Let us know the results of your findings. Slowdown experienced in GUI would point out that something is going wrong with product db - certain calls and requests take longer than expected, and more thorough investigation will be needed. Thanks.