Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
salyerma
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Salyer

New Purchase OS question

Post by salyerma »

With all the conversation going on about 2016 and ReFs, would the recommendation still be to use 2016 and ReFS as the preferred Veeam 9.5 setup? We are just now purchasing and want to get off to a good start. We will be doing local to disk and then a Tape and DataDomain Backup Copy. Still use 2016 and ReFS or stick with 2012 and NTFS right now?

Thanks,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: New Purchase OS question

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mark,

First: Welcome to our forums and thanks for participating!

Taking the "what to use" a bit aside. Why not just buy 2016 license? You can buy that license and then "downgrade" to 2012 R2 if you want to anyway.

Then for the choice. I still advice 2016 and ReFS as long as you make sure it is patched till the latest level and you take into account to put enough memory in it (depending on the size of the storage where you are going to run ReFS on it). The advantages are very high, and thanks to the great work of many people on these forums we know a lot more now and MSFT has been pushed to the limit to fix lots of things.

What is your expected size of storage that you are going to attach to the server?

Mike
salyerma
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Salyer

Post by salyerma »

Not very much. We are not large by any stretch, and will be dividing the local storage across several Site based repositories. I did more reading last night, and it does seem that ReFS issues have calmed down a bit, so I may start there.

I would expect each local repository would be 5-10TB per proxy. We will only store one week's worth locally and then archive to DataDomain and Tape for longer term.

Thanks,
ssjgogeta
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave

Post by ssjgogeta »

I would stick with the safe option which is 2012 R2 & NTFS.

Yes, there are always advantages of a later gen OS but unless it has features which you cannot go without, stick with a 'tried and true' platform for your backup solution and let MS (and the early adopters) work out the bugs before jumping aboard.

Just my 2c...