Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
deesloop
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Darren Slupek

Upgrading ESX 5.5->6

Post by deesloop »

I'm moving from ESX5.5 to 6u3 shortly
I've done the VCentre which Veeam 9.5 disliked and I've been working on replicas and backups most of the week and weekend.

Are there any horrible caveats in doing this. Will Veeam take a dislike to this move also?
Any pointers?

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Upgrading ESX 5.5->6

Post by foggy »

Hi Darren, what do you mean by "disliked" here? Was it a completely new vCenter installation, where all the existing VMs were registered? In this case it is expected that they were treated as new ones by Veeam B&R. If you are going to perform an in-place upgrade of the hosts under this VC, this will not cause any negative consequences.
deesloop
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Darren Slupek

Post by deesloop »

Indeed, I was migrating to a new VCentre and it wasn't painless
Thanks for the info on the ESXI hosts upgrade though, hoping this transition will be smoother.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

I recently upgraded from 5.5 to 6.5. I used VMware's migration tool to migrate my 5.5 vCenter appliance to 6.5 vCenter appliance, and while the migration tool leaved a few things to be desired, when it was finished everything was migrated properly. I then added in the new 6.5 host to it and simply vMotioned VMs from the 5.5 host to the 6.5 host and VBR had no issues continuing to backup the VMs. I haven't been through a 5.5 to 6.0 upgrade but I'd hope the process there would be similar.

Joe
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Also worth mentioning 5.5 is rock solid compared to the bug fixes for 6.5 that have been released. Its good to upgrade and keep running with the pack but expect plenty of patches as indicated by Anton weekly update.. always seems to contain fix news atleast twice a month :)

Trev..