Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ITVA
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hagan

Simple Architecture Question

Post by ITVA »

I have three small sites with Hyper-V hosts. We have 10Mbps connectivity between locations. The data center location is the only one backed up by Veeam currently and this is all handled on-site (no WAN replication).

What is the best way for me to backup the other two locations to the data center? Do I need a Veeam server at each site and then configure jobs to replicate over to the data center? It would be great if I could pull this off with just the single Veeam server and backup destination, but I doubt that's feasible.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Simple Architecture Question

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi John,

There are actually many possibilities. Veeam B&R is composed out of different components. For example, we have the B&R server (some call this the command and control :-)), we have proxies, gateway server, repository, WAN accelerator and so on...

You could do the backup and/or replication directly to the data center location but that means that all the data will go over the WAN. Depending on the situation, you might want to consider WAN accelerators in between, or do a backup to a local repository (at that site) first and a Backup Copy JOB to the data center location (offsite) after business hours.

As stated, it is possible with one single server and backup destination, but then I suggest you look at the timing and maybe even add throttling so it doesn't steal all the bandwidth.

Personally I would consider adding a VM on each host in a location and backup first to there (will also speed the restore up as the latest data is "at location") and then a Backup copy job after business hours to the datacenter for having an offsite backup

My 2 cents
Mike