Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NickViz1
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Nikolai Vorontsov

2 bugs in VAW

Post by NickViz1 »

First of all - I was not able to create a support case, I was blocked at entering email. There is no verification email received, so no way to make ticket.

OK, that's bug №0 - to Anton Gostev attention - you explicitly require us to make a support case when reporting bugs - fine for me, but bloody hell, make sure that we are able to make that support case! I'm receiving almost daily marketing spam from Veeam, but verification email did reach me. And yes, my email is correct - I got a test email from yandex mail immediately. Veeam looks pretty stupid in this case.

Bug №1: when I do a file backup for on a BitLocker encrypted volume - it fails on encrypted files:
21/04/2017 9:22:34 :: Error: Access is denied. Failed to open source FS item '\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy59\Nikolai.Vorontsov\Documents\Private\nikolai.vorontsov.ppk' Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: Shared memory connection was closed.

Visually it looks like VeeamAgent.exe process consumes all memory:
and after a while backup fails. After I removed encryption from that file - backup succeed. Note that Veeam Endpoint backup in that configuration worked.

Bug №2: as you see the VeeamAgent.exe can eat all memory on machine in case of problem. It would be nice if you detect such issue and backup reader stops to blow up memory in case of problems.

regards.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Re: 2 bugs in VAW

Post by NickViz1 »

Ah, yea - Windows 7 x64 Enterprise on Intel CPU, Sophos Endpoint Security and Control version 10.6, NTFS, domain, all volumes encrypted with BitLocker. If you need some more info about my configuration - don't hesitate to ask me.
CarlMcDade
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Carl McDade

Post by CarlMcDade »

Hello again,

Just and FYI

I am running Windows 10 x64 enterprise, Bitlocker is configured with local TPM module. My VAW works fine using both file level and block level backups

Cheers
mail@carlmcdade.com
http://twitter.com/CarlMcDade
http://www.carlmcdade.com
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello Carl,

do you have _encrypted_ files in your backup set? RMC/Properties/Advanced/Encrypt contents to secure data.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@nikolai,

My apologies for the late reply. For some reason I missed your thread. Mea culpa

Can you PM me your email address so I can inform our team to create a support call and contact you? Not only figuring out the bug is needed, but please tell them also about the support email issue. This works rather fine but from time to time we get into some strange issues and we try to solve those as much as we can

Thanks
Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Nikolai,
verification email did reach me. And yes, my email is correct - I got a test email from yandex mail immediately.
There might be a delay in verification email generation. Can you please clarify was this email delivered? If not, please send Mike or me your email address via PM.

Regarding issues, I asked QA folks to check but we need your application debug logs, so support case is required. You can also share the logs from C:\ProgramData\Veeam with me via PM.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

PM sent to Dima & Mike.
thanks guys!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Nikolai,

Thanks a lot. Working with QA team, stay tuned.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Nikolai,

The issue should be resolved in RTM code. If possible, please test the RTM code in your environment and let us know the results. Thank you.