Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bubbagump
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Copy job from Nimble replica

Post by bubbagump »

The Nimble integration has turned out to be a very powerful tool for us. What I am wondering, as I can't find away to do this, is seeing that you can use a Nimble replica as a data source (See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) can you also use the replica as a data source for Copy Jobs? My thinking being, maintain replica snapshots for weeks on the secondary array as a primary backup source. Then, create copy jobs from the snaps to a tertiary medium... tape, other JBOD, whatever. it just seems like you would impact IO on the primary storage array unnecessarily when the snaps are available on the replica. Or am I thinking about this wrong?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Copy job from Nimble replica

Post by foggy »

Backup copy jobs are using backup files as a source, so you first need to create VM backups (using Nimble replica snapshots as a source) and then perform backup copy from them, if required. Though, if I'm getting your scenario right, it would be enough to use regular backup jobs.
bubbagump
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by bubbagump »

You are indeed understanding my scenario, how ever I lose the GFS management ability using normal jobs.

My hope was:

Create snaps on the primary that replicate to the secondary.
Maintain the secondary replica as the data source for "off array" copies (which you can do)
Then, in the same job, setup a secondary target of a copy job.

Though it sounds like I will need to

Create snaps on primary array, replicate to secondary.
Use secondary replica as data source to create backup files on the JBOD thus keeping my initial "14 days" off the array as well as keeping IO off of the primary array.
Create a copy job on the JBOD to maintain GFS and replicate via the JBOD.

Is that more in line with what is typical? Essentially, i am trying to avoid setting up multiple jobs, but that may just not be feasible.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, your understanding is correct, since currently GFS is available in the backup copy jobs only.