Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rho
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronni Holst

MS cluster?

Post by rho »

Hi all,

How does Veeam Agent for windows 2.0 works with Microsoft Clusters? I does have a few file and SQL clusters running.. I know that the cluster drives are available for selection inside the Agent, but how does the agent handle cluster failovers? And how about restore?

Best regards
Ronni
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: MS cluster?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Ronni,

Clustering is something we are looking into, but VAW 2.0 won't have support for MS Clusters (I assume you are talking about standard failover clusters). You can protect a single node (as a standalone) but VAW won't be aware that it is a cluster. Which means that in the case of a failover, it won't know this and your backups will fail as the disk won't be available anymore.

But as said, this is on our list
Mike
jeff.richeson
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by jeff.richeson »

So does that mean I should be able to pick a clustered volume to back up? I am only seeing the non-clustered volumes. Anything that is CSVFS is not available in the list of volumes.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jeff,

What is your exact scenario? If you are protecting the active node, it should be able to see the data if I am not mistaken
jeff.richeson
Enthusiast

Post by jeff.richeson »

We have a standard configuration: 2 node SQL failover cluster using physical RDMs for shared storage. The agent is installed on the primary node but it can only see the non-clustered volumes. I opened a support case but all they could tell me was that clusters aren't supported in any of the Veeam products. Currently, I'm working around the issue by having a scheduled task run a script to robocopy the clustered backup volume to a non-clustered volume and using the agent to back up that volume.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

As you note VAW is not natively 'Cluster' aware in the current version 2.0. Thanks for providing the community with your workaround.
apetersen
Novice
Full Name: Allan Petersen

[MERGED] Backup of virtual MS Clusters

Post by apetersen »

Hello,

Maybe this question has already been posted but unable to locate.

Did anyone try to use the Veeam Agent for backing up virtual Microsoft Windows clusters having raw devices? Any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks
Allan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Allan, there is some information in this topic. If you have any other questions, please let us know.
apetersen
Novice
Full Name: Allan Petersen

Post by apetersen »

I will be at VMware World this week so will run over to you guys and have a chat :-)
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast
Full Name: Synthos Kralupy

Post by SynthosKralupy » 1 person likes this post

Hello Allan,

we are using two-node Microsoft failover clustering, Clusters Across Physical Machines (Cluster Across Boxes) configuration according to http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic ... p-mscs.pdf. There is Veeam agent for Windows installed on both nodes and backup configuration set to "Entire computer". Each node has own system disk and there are two shared RDM disks (quorum + data disk).

It works perfectly.

Pavel.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Pavel,

Thanks for sharing! You are saying that shared RDM is backed up by active note, right? I wonder how backup on the passive node goes when RDM is attached to the active node?
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast
Full Name: Synthos Kralupy

Post by SynthosKralupy » 1 person likes this post

It is simple and works. Shared RDM disks are backed on active node only. So only system (standard VMDK disk) is backed on passive node at this moment. When server is in passive state, it see only own system drive, no RDM. If you need restore something, you just have to find out which node was active in desired point of time. I simply open both nodes in Veeam backup browser at same restore point and see it. http://prntscr.com/gk3862
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Great! Thanks for confirming.