Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rntguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rnt Guy

Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Post by rntguy »

I have tried reading the documentation and a few articles but still the wording/wizard is confusing to me.

I want to have one backup job that does the OS + D drive (SCSI 0:0 and 0:1) and then another job that does the S drive (0:2).

When I add the VM to the first job and add exclusion I'm under the impression I'm choosing which disks to exclude, hence the name of the button. But when I go to the disk tab and select the VM and Edit exclusions I see the ability to add SCSI disks. The phrase used is "select disks to process". This to me seems like I am selecting disks I want to backup. Am I mis reading this?

Also, I assume for the S drive I'd want to also back up the OS drive (0:0) again so I can do restores to a specific location? If I don't back it up twice where can I restore files to? Or is it all or nothing then?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community.

Please take a look at this article and feel free to ask questions if any.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Post by Vitaliy S. »

rntguy wrote: When I add the VM to the first job and add exclusion I'm under the impression I'm choosing which disks to exclude, hence the name of the button. But when I go to the disk tab and select the VM and Edit exclusions I see the ability to add SCSI disks. The phrase used is "select disks to process". This to me seems like I am selecting disks I want to backup. Am I mis reading this?
In this wizard you're selecting which disks to process, the wording might be a bit confusing (I agree). Check out this topic for additional reading.
rntguy wrote: I want to have one backup job that does the OS + D drive (SCSI 0:0 and 0:1) and then another job that does the S drive (0:2).
What kind of VM is that? What data do you store there?
rntguy wrote:Also, I assume for the S drive I'd want to also back up the OS drive (0:0) again so I can do restores to a specific location? If I don't back it up twice where can I restore files to? Or is it all or nothing then?
Please review this topic for the answer > Backup Job Exclude Disk
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Linguistic trouble - Excluding disks from backup

Post by marius roma »

I have a job processing 2 VMs.
One VM have 4 disks, configured as iSCSI 0:0, 0:1, 0:2 and 0:3.
I want to back up ALL the disks EXCEPT iSCSI 0:2.
I add the VM to the job and I open the "Exclusion" page, add the VM and go to a window whose title is "Select Disks".
The window contains a radio button with 3 options: "All disks", "Disk 0:0 only (typically, system disk)" and "Selected disks".
In the bottom of the page a check button says "Remove excluded disks ...".
The center of the window allows adding one or more disks.
My quesion is: the disks I add in the window are the disks to be processed (backed up) or excluded?
In other words, should I add disks 0:0, 0:1, 0:3 (to be backed up) or disk 0:2 (to be excluded from backup)?
Regards
Mario
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Linguistic trouble - Excluding disks from backup

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Marius,
marius roma wrote:My quesion is: the disks I add in the window are the disks to be processed (backed up) or excluded?
Yes, you should add the disks to be processed (backed up).
For additional information, check posts and links above.

Thanks!