Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Windows Agent 1.5 to 2.0 Upgrade not detecting Update 2

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I have had Windows Agent 1.5 free installed on two servers to backup a handful of files for quite awhile now, and the destination is the Veeam Repository on my main B&R server.

I just upgraded the server to 9.5 Update 2, but when I run the Windows Agent 2.0 installed, it tells me that the Backup Target doesn't support this version and I have to upgrade the target to 9.5 Update 2, which I have done. I went into the 1.5 interface and went through the configuration again so it would rescan the target repository but I get the same message when trying to upgrade.

Am I missing something or do I upgrade anyway and then it will see that my target has been upgraded?
Fred_vBrain
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Manfred Hofer

Re: Windows Agent 1.5 to 2.0 Upgrade not detecting Update 2

Post by Fred_vBrain »

Hi,

I have the same problem and I'm currently investigating it. When I start an Agent backup I got the following error back:

Code: Select all

Failed to inventory file system: Cannot request cryptocontainer. Win32 error:The data is invalid. Code: 13
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Can you give me an overview about your environment. What are you using as Endpoint repo?
Did you reboot the client and VBR server?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred | vBrain.info | @Fred_vBrain

VCAP-DCA/DCD/CIA/CID/DTA/DTD, VCIX-NV, VCIX6-DCV/DTM/NV/CMA, VMCE v7-v9, vExpert 2014-18, vExpert NSX 2016-17, Cisco Champion 2015-18, Veeam Vanguard 2016, Dell EMC Elect 2017
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Did you already restart the Veeam Agent itself on the computers where it is installed ?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I just restarted the Veeam Endpoint Backup service on the server I want to backup and re-ran the installer with the same message.

The Veeam B&R server was rebooted at the end of the upgrade t 9.5 Update 2
The client server has not been rebooted, although the Veeam Endpoint service was restarted and configuration gone through again to communicate with the repository.
The Endpoint target repo is the primary Veeam repo that is a CIFS share. I verified permissions for agents are still configured.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Best would be to contact support for investigation where this is going wrong.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Please submit support cases and share the case id. Also, please clarify if, by any chance, you have the agent license deployed on top of Veeam B&R console?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I'll open a case later this afternoon. I did apply a license to the BEM, and it appears in the console, but that was after the reboot.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Case: 02158069
Fred_vBrain
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Manfred Hofer

Post by Fred_vBrain »

Maybe I will also open a case. I saw that I don't have the tab for the Agent license. tried to install Update 2 again but it didn't changed.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred | vBrain.info | @Fred_vBrain

VCAP-DCA/DCD/CIA/CID/DTA/DTD, VCIX-NV, VCIX6-DCV/DTM/NV/CMA, VMCE v7-v9, vExpert 2014-18, vExpert NSX 2016-17, Cisco Champion 2015-18, Veeam Vanguard 2016, Dell EMC Elect 2017
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Heard back from support who said they were able to recreate this event, but saying Yes to go ahead and install anyway allowed it to continue.

It did remember my file selections and was able to do a backup, but the schedule was not enabled after the upgrade. It had the correct time, it just wasn't checked to "Run job automatically"
skochetkov
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Post by skochetkov »

Hello Joshua,

If you installed 'server' license after the upgrade procedure, scheduled backups turn off, because 'server' edition has different schedule type. It's behaviour by design. More info here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I think that is a poor user experience. If I was doing an upgrade, I would expect it to keep the same settings I had, not disable the schedule. I'm done and caught it, but others could over look it while upgrading.