Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Veeam Agent for Windows and SQL Clusters

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I know that today we can backup a SQL Always On cluster by adding all of the VMs in the cluster to the same Veeam job and it processes as expected.

With the Veeam Agent, if I install it on 3 nodes of a separate physical Always On cluster, I can't run them as part of the same job as far as I know, so how is processing handled, as far as primary and secondary nodes go? Will Veeam figure that all out, or more to it?
skochetkov
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows and SQL Clusters

Post by skochetkov »

Hello Joshua,

For the time being Veeam Agent for Windows supports only single node installation because Veeam Agent for Windows isn't a cluster aware backup product.
wlcu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: WLCU

Post by wlcu »

We have SQL Clusters also, I would like to know what the strategy is for backing up clustered drives? We do fail overs pretty often so it wouldn't make sense to designate one as primary (with all drives being backed up) and secondary (os drive only). That was a suggestion I read somewhere in these forums.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

+1 request for adding SQL Clusters.

I saw in the VeeamOn presentation that Windows Failover Clustering support was coming, but does that include SQL?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

True, support for Microsoft Failover Clusters will be introduced in v10 as a part of Agent Management feature. To learn more you can subscribe here
CarstenT
Lurker

Post by CarstenT »

Are there any further information about Windows Failover Cluster Support in v10?
At the moment we are looking for a new backup solution (because Backup Exec sucks). I would like to use Veeam but we need support for physical SQL Failover Cluster. We are using SQL 2014 on Server 2012 R2.

Virtual Failover Cluster are supported with Hyper-V2016 and Guest OS 2016, am I right?
VEEAM VMCE v8 & VMCE v9
mimrich
Lurker
Full Name: Marcel Imrich

Post by mimrich »

Hi there,

I know about the limitations of Veeam Agent installed on one of the SQL Failover Cluster nodes. Looks like it's working for active
cluster node as volume level backup job and successfully transfers all the data on clustered volume. DB files should be consistent
as it uses native VSS provider to flush all the data.
Problem what we have and this is my question if it's a limitation of existing Veeam Agent version or we have misconfigured something.
Seems like after enabling "application aware" processing on backup job, Veeam Agent can't see the clustered SQL instance name.
The user have sysadmin permissions on SQL level along with "LOCAL SYSTEM" user under Veeam Agent is running.
Is this expected behavior and we have to live with it until next version?

Thanks.
Marcel
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Marcel,

Try to create new db admin account and specify it in application processing options for SQL server.