Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Consolidate Helper/VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT snapshots

Post by Daveyd »

I am using Veeam 4.1 in virtual appliance mode. I had some issues with the Veeam VM while it was doing backups. I know have a couple of VMs with VERY large snapshots named VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT as well as other VMs with VERY large snapshots named Consolidate Helper- 0.

What is the best way to remove theses snapshots with the least impact on the VMs? Simply deleting the snaps? I obviously want to kepp the most current verison of the VM intact while getting rid of the snaps
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Consolidate Helper/VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT snaps

Post by Gostev »

Yes, just remove them and they will be commited into main virtual disk files. Make sure to start the process during off hours, because it may take a while (a few hours for large snapshots), and will affect VM I/O performance.

I don't know if you have searched the forum before posting the above, and saw this already... but this may come handy if you have issues removing those snapshots:
Unremoved snapshots after hard failure of the backup server
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

I did see that post that you mentioned but the guy had mentioned powering off the VM, which in my case, I cannot do. I just wanted to make sure that I could just delete both kinds of snaps without powering off the VMs and all would be well
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Oh well, then let's hope this will work without having to apply this workaround. ;)