crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Veeam V10

Post by crackocain »

Hi.

I want to ask about new features.

-Support for physical computers backup by fully integrating of our agents for Windows and Linux into the Veeam Backup & Replication.
Agents deployed and controlled in Free Version either?

-Veeam CDP, the new Continuous Data Protection
Is this meaning of Real Time Replication? or Backup?

And finally, in v10 we're extending our existing scale-out backup repository with the new Archive Tier,
Only ScaleOut Backup Repository? Are we backing up Azure Blob Storage directly?

IBM Storwize Storage Snapshots
Only Fibre Channel? SAS interface is also supported?

SureBackup Exclusion coming this version?
We are excluding virtual machines and virtual disks from backup job. Why in the Surebackup jobs VM's can not be excluded. This is not make sense.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam V10

Post by nielsengelen »

-Support for physical computers backup by fully integrating of our agents for Windows and Linux into the Veeam Backup & Replication.
Agents deployed and controlled in Free Version either?
This is not defined yet and will be made clear later on towards the release.
-Veeam CDP, the new Continuous Data Protection
Is this meaning of Real Time Replication? or Backup?
Yes, this means you can replicate as many times as you want. This doen't work for backup yet within VMware.
And finally, in v10 we're extending our existing scale-out backup repository with the new Archive Tier,
Only ScaleOut Backup Repository? Are we backing up Azure Blob Storage directly?
You will be able to add Azure Blob / Amazon S3&Glacier storage to a Scale-Out repository so it can be used as an archive tier. We won't backup anything from Azure blob storage, only send data to it.
IBM Storwize Storage Snapshots
Only Fibre Channel? SAS interface is also supported?
This will become also more clear towards the release as this is currently in development.
SureBackup Exclusion coming this version?
We are excluding virtual machines and virtual disks from backup job. Why in the Surebackup jobs VM's can not be excluded. This is not make sense.
You can use an application group to select the specific VM's you want within the group - in this way you can "exclude" VM's. More info can be found in our user guide.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

Did I see somewhere that V10 is expected in Q3 2017?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Alex,

It is ready when it is ready :-). But Q3 2017, not sure where you saw that but that doesn't look like correct to be honest. A bit too early ;-)
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Blob Question: Sorry my bad. Are we add Azure Blob storage to backup repositories? For example customer don't want cloud connect then this option can be useful. Not only archieve tier.

VAIO Question: This question may be vmware related but i dont know. If we use VAIO then which vmware license is necessary? Storage-Policy Based Management feature? So Vsphere Standart, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus owners using this feature?

Surebackup Question: Yeah i know application group but not the same thing. Because one application group object failed then all surebackup jobs cancelled. I'm saying cancelled not running next vm! Are you say it is the same thing? Too many people want to this feature vmware-vsphere-f24/is-it-possible-to-ex ... t6668.html
But youre saying Application Group is an option. Yeah we all know Application group but it is not the same thing!!!
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

Azure Blob storage can be added to a Scale-Out Backup repo which is part of their own infrastructure, not specificly targetted at Cloud Connect. However it can't be a main backup target, only for archiving right now.

In regards to the license, this is indeed a VMware related question.

In regards to the SureBackup question, your example makes sense indeed and as you noticed in the other thread is this something that is tracked as a feature request to be added later on. This wasn't clear to me in your first post as I thought you used linked jobs only.
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Azure Blob Archieving: Are we specify restore points or backup date?

For example 1 weeks after or 15 restore points after use Azure Archieve Tier?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

There will be a policy based decision mechanism.

As far as I know today, it will move (or copy, depending on your choice) after X time or after X percent of the primary storage is used. But since we are still work in progress, any feedback on how you would want to implement it in your environment (and why) is very much appreciated!
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

Is there a specific reason why it's been integrated into the SOBR feature rather than just allowing you to add it as a repository? Seems like a complicated way to do it.

My dream scenario is that it's just another type of repository target, and you introduce a feature that allows for making backup copies from other backup copies.

e.g.

Primary Backup from Source > Archive Backup on Local Disk > Archive Backup on Azure
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

This can be done by using backup copy job. However within sobr it will move the data according your retention policy/settings hence why it is introduced there.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

The other reason is to avoid customers to use an object storage, which is really good at streaming data, to be used for primary backups, that have a more random IO pattern, and even more (and this counts also for backup copy jobs, not just backup jobs) there is a backup chain that may be updated even daily, and object storage are not designed to update files in place by only the changed blocks. An update in an object is a complete rewrite of the entire file. Think about the daily merge of a forever forward incremental backup done against an object storage, or the synthetic full of a backup copy.
For this reason, the archive tier will work by offloading GFS files (which are full independent files) or entire aged chains (think an entire week of a regular backup copy with weekly synthetic), so that the move to the archive tier is a file copy, clean and fully sequential. The offload is not managed by the backup copy, but by the configured retention.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

crackocain wrote:VAIO Question: This question may be vmware related but i dont know. If we use VAIO then which vmware license is necessary? Storage-Policy Based Management feature? So Vsphere Standart, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus owners using this feature?
FYI VAIO is available in standard and higher but not in Essentials editions.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 » 1 person likes this post

VAIO filtering Replication would potentially give us Storage Vendor A to storage Vendor B near real-time replication, correct? Can we have a (Veeam) party?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Correct. I leave the decision for a party up to you ;-)
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

The party was on Thursday in New Orleans. :mrgreen:
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Yeah, sadly i couldn't be there this time. Vmworld Las Vegas it must be then :) Only a few months to go now...
BaconLover123
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: CJ Boswell

Post by BaconLover123 »

Hi There - about the continuous data protection: will this be available for Hyper-V, or Linux. I read somewhere it will be using VAIO.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

That's going to be available for vSphere platform only > https://go.veeam.com/v10
mtaggart
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Taggart

Post by mtaggart » 1 person likes this post

Will there be any changes to the way end of Month/Year jobs are going to run for backup to tape?

Currently the GFS jobs run after the weekly backup to tape is finished. Instead of running 2 backup to tape jobs, how about we only run the end of Month/Year job and not run the weekly backup to tape?

The example I can give of this that works great is from Backup Exec, we moved from Backup Exec to Veeam and this has always been a thorn in the side with Veeam.
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Can we use tape devices as a Archieve Tier?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, you can.
mtaggart
Enthusiast

Post by mtaggart »

In addition to the items I asked about previously, what about also changing the way backups to tape are done, change it to have the ability to run a file level backup vs. the image file backup.

For example, when you have to restore something and the image file is 6TB, well that poses lots of issues (long restore times of the 6TB image file, a location to put it just to extract out a few files, 2 restores are needed - 1st is to restore the image file then restore the file(s) needed).

We don't always have a need to restore the entire VM (or image file) using Veeam and it would be a lot easier and a lot less time consuming than the way the product is currently.

In the article written 'Switch to Veeam from Veritas Backup Exec', it's stated in the article: "AgLegacy tools like Backup Exec can suffer from slow recovery times and typically require agents." While this is true Backup Exec does require an agent, but you can restore large amounts of data without the requiring having to do 2 restores (as stated above) which cuts down on the time needed to restore your data and you don't need to find large sized disks since they don't do image file backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

The need is clear and this feature is not impossible to deliver for agentless backup - but it's pretty hard and time consuming. And considering how rarely file-level restores need to be served from tape (as opposed from recent backups which are still on disk), this feature was not high on the priority list for our tape dev team. Basically, value to the product vs. development complexity ratio is pretty low for this feature.
mtaggart
Enthusiast

Post by mtaggart »

Gostev,

Thank you for the response.

I though, IMO, will disagree with you in that file level restores are rarely needed from tape.

Will the functionality for file level restore as well as much needed inprovement in scheduling of GFS tape backups be incorporated in Version 10.x? If not, we can we expect to see those items?

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

All I can say for now is that file level restore direct from tape is definitely not coming in v10. We are working on a whole bunch of minor tape improvements to address top feedback and feature requests from our users, including around GFS - but the availability of those features will only be announced closer to the release (once they pass QC). Thanks!
NTmatter
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Thomas Johnson

Post by NTmatter »

You will be able to add Azure Blob / Amazon S3&Glacier storage
Is this exclusively for Amazon S3, or could I stand up my own S3-Compatible Minio cluster or RadosGW instance by filling in custom server details?
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

Hi Thomas,
it can be configured with any S3 compatible storage, so any private object storage capable of exposing S3 could be used. I have an OpenIO cluster ready myself to test the beta once it will be available ;)
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
TobiasF
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tobias

Post by TobiasF »

Hi,

do you know in which Licence the S3 feature will be available ?
Standard, Enterprise or Enterprise Plus?

Greetings
Tobias
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

My guess (totally to be confirmed by product management) is that it will follow the same schema of SOBR, because archive tier will be linked to SOBR groups only.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
DavidCNZ
Novice
Liked: never

Post by DavidCNZ »

Gostev wrote:The need is clear and this feature is not impossible to deliver for agentless backup - but it's pretty hard and time consuming. And considering how rarely file-level restores need to be served from tape (as opposed from recent backups which are still on disk), this feature was not high on the priority list for our tape dev team. Basically, value to the product vs. development complexity ratio is pretty low for this feature.
Hi Gostev,

We need file level from tape for the majority of restores we do. Quite often staff need to refer to earlier design data. One of the project store VM volumes is 15TB so by the time we restore this from tape and then restore the files it is a very long process. Not to mention the need for available disk space to restore to.

Regards
David