Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rever75
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Vieira

Replication and Failover Testing

Post by rever75 »

Hi,
I am very new to Veeam and trying to get everything up and running. Here is my Setup:
Two Sites connected via ipsec tunnel.
Site 1 Main HQ
Veeam Backup Proxy Server with iSCSI Backup Disks backing up Non Critical VMs on vmware 6.0

Site 2 Branch Office/DR Site
Veeam Backup Server holding Backup Copies of Backs form Main HQ and also Replicating ever 5 minutes 2 Critical VMs from Main HQ here.
I have setup a Failover Plan that works with the Replicated VMs. I would like to test this Failover and was wondering if I could use Sure Backup with a vLab? The failover is only for testing to ensure that the Plan and Scripts are working as expected. I would HATE to do the fail over and find that nothing is working. This TEST cannot intrude on our Production Systems. Can someone please let me know if this can be done and if I am to use the vLab on a Replica VM what happens during the replication intervals?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication and Failover Testing

Post by foggy »

Hi Richard, seems you're looking for SureReplica functionality to test your replicas. Answering your second question, replication jobs will fail for the VMs that are being verified.
rever75
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Vieira

Post by rever75 »

OK so if I use SureReplica which is SureBackup just pointing to a Replica I can test all my Failover Plans and such? I will just pause the replication while doing my testing or should I just leave it failing and let if complete properly after testing?
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

SureReplica won't go through the failover plan itself. If you have pre/post scripts as part of your failover plan they won't be included. If your failover plan is just "turn on these VMs" then using a SureReplica with the same VMs in it should work.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect