Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bjervis
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Brad Jervis

backup to cloud -- Internet issues

Post by bjervis »

Hi All, and happy Friday!

I just downloaded VAW and was hoping to backup my laptop to a cloud repository (to a subtenant if it makes any difference.) I'm able to configure and initiate the backup, but as soon as it starts transferring data I'm no longer able to use internet services (browsing, VPN, chat programs..). The odd part is that i'm still able to ping/resolve DNS from command prompt, so I'm not sure what could be causing the interference. The backup was running at 2MB/s and i have a 80/80 internet connection so I don't believe the issue is related to Veeam using all of my available bandwidth.

As an aside, I attempted to open a case numerous ways but to no avail:

First I tried opening a case using the Veeam support portal. Unfortunately in order to submit the ticket it's asking for a support ID. I could not find the support ID in the agent license settings, and the KB article seems to only reference VBR and Veeam One.

Second, i tried submitting a case through the agent itself. I was able to register my email, and submitted the case, but after uploading the logs i get a "permission deny" error. I'll try to submit again after a while as perhaps it takes some time to enable my email to submit the case, and will report back later if I'm successful.

In the meantime I wanted to post here to see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems when backing up to a cloud provider.

Thanks!

Brad
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Re: backup to cloud -- Internet issues

Post by vClintWyckoff »

So you're a VCSP or you're using a VCSP?
bjervis
Veeam Vanguard

Post by bjervis »

We are a VCSP, was considering posting this in the VCSP forum, but thought this forum would be more applicable. Feel free to move it if you think otherwise Clint.

Cheers,

Brad
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

I've been testing VAW to a VCC environment I have in Azure and have never experienced the problem you're experiencing.

In the Agent Control Panel under Settings there's a checkbox for "Throttle backup activity when system is busy" - by default it is checked - what's it like on your system?
bjervis
Veeam Vanguard

Post by bjervis »

It's checked as well for me.

We setup another machine with the agent and are not experiencing similar problems, so it must be something local. I'll do some more digging and will attempt to open a ticket again to keep troubleshooting.

Have a great long weekend,

Brad
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Sounds good - keep us posted Brad.
bjervis
Veeam Vanguard

Post by bjervis »

So i have some more information.

It seems the service interruption is temporary. After leaving it running for 10-20 minutes internet services once again become available. I've opened case: 02172883 to dig a bit deeper into this. The issue is definitely related to the VeeamAgent process as as soon as it is manually ended in task manager all services intermediately become available again.

I'll update this post as i troubleshoot with support.

Regards,

Brad