Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Jean-Philippe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Veeam 9.5 Update 2 post upgrade issue

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Hello the Veeam Team, just to inform you about a strange behaviour since I've upgrade a Veeam server from 7.0 to 9.5 U2. Upgrade path was ok and works correctly.
I found all backup and replication jobs "as before" except that since the upgrade date the 2 backup jobs are reporting the same issue.

Unable to apply retention policy: failed to delete backup files Error: [StorageSortedList] Internal error: circular references near storage Point for retention: id= :type=Normal:alg=Syntethic:creation_time= :creation_time_utc= is found.

I've opened a case to the support (in progress) but the corresponding file that Veeam is looking for are not the concerning repositories. (so I'm not able to delete them manually)
Any idea ? Does some others users report the same issue ?

Regards,
Jean-Philippe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 9.5 Update 2 post upgrade issue

Post by foggy »

Hi Jean-Philippe, we haven't seen this on forums, let's see what our support engineers say after reviewing the case closer. Could you please share its number for further reference, btw? Thanks.
Jean-Philippe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jean-Philippe » 1 person likes this post

Hi Foggy,
Case # 02166215
Hoegimator
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joerg Renggli

Post by Hoegimator »

Ticket ID# 02171097 / Severity: 2

Hi all,
After installing Update 2 we had two issues.
The first was with one of the tape drives, but after a reboot of the library all was good again (so far).
The second issue is with two different repositories (windows and cifs), both related with BCJ's. Under Backups\Disk (copy)\ in the properties of the backups, the backup files are marked with a red cross and "The backup file is located on an unavailable backup repository" error message shows. A rescan of the repositories finishes successfully and it is also accessible through the UNC or/and Windows path, but I couldn't fix it so far.

Hope to hear soon from support, because tonight all the BCJ's will fail :cry:

Any thought or idea is appreciated.

Thanks
Joerg
Hoegimator
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joerg Renggli

Post by Hoegimator » 1 person likes this post

This is absolutely weird. Suddenly I had several outdated devices, I thought the update process didn't update all the proxies and other devices. But before reinstalling Update 2, I had to install some SQL-Updates on the Veeam Database Server. I did shutdown the Veeam B&R Server and installed the SQL-Updates on the Database server, afterwards when I started the Veeam B&R server again (I did restart the B&R server more then ones before that), the problem with the BCJ-Repositories wasn't present anymore and also no outdated devices.... So for now, all the problem were solved by them self....