Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jimmycartrette
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JC

Need to split replication to second Veeam server

Post by jimmycartrette »

Here is my current setup:
VEEAM Server on mainvcenter
Primary Repo on mainvcenter
Secondary Repo on drvcenter

Currently I take backups from production to Primary, and backup copy to Secondary Repo.
8 Replication jobs take the backups from Secondary Repo and replicate them into drvcenter. 2 Replication jobs take live servers from mainvcenter and replicate them to drvcenter.

Replication was a late emergency add, and I just realized there is nothing to bring up a failover plan if our main site/VEEAM Server is down. Looking around, I need to run a second Veeam server in drvcenter.

How should I go about this? New install? Do I have to set up all replication jobs from scratch on this new server, and disable the replication jobs on "VEEAM Server on mainvcenter"? Anything I should watch out for if I go about it this way?
jimmycartrette
Influencer

Re: Need to split replication to second Veeam server

Post by jimmycartrette »

Also, I only have licensing for the sockets in my main site. Will that prevent me from following through with this plan? (since I'm taking backup copies from Secondary Repo to hosts on the drvcenter which has hosts which aren't licensed)
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

if the veeam server is virtual you could replicate it to the other datacenter as well. Don't know if this is an option?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
jimmycartrette
Influencer

Post by jimmycartrette »

It is replicated - but nothing to go turn it on automatically in an emergency...I suppose I could manually go turn it on. Feels like 'easy but not best practice'.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Having a Veeam B&R instance responsible for replication jobs residing in the target site is indeed the best practice. This doesn't imply any licensing limitations since you're still replicating from the same source hosts. You would need to create new jobs on this instance and map them to existing replica VMs. Replication jobs on the first instance should be disabled.