Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shrlcksmth
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: George Violaris

Retention policy question

Post by shrlcksmth »

Hello,

I have a replication job that every time it finishes it is applying the retention policy for one to two hours at most. This vm has a disk that is quite big, 1.2TB, not sure if it makes a difference.

Is it normal for this task to take so long? Is it due to being slow to remove the snapshot at the DR vCenter site?

If this is not normal I will open a support cas, however I wanted to see your opinion first as for my other jobs the retention policy takes only a couple of minutes.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Retention policy question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello George and welcome to the community!
VM size does matter here as retention applying is merging 2 oldest restore points in 1. However, if you feel like 2 hours sound too long for it you may contact Veeam support for the detailed investigation and check if something can be improved.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Retention just deletes the oldest snapshot of the replica VM. You could play with manual snapshot deletion for VM (and snapshot) of similar size to see whether it takes similar time.
shrlcksmth
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: George Violaris

Post by shrlcksmth » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for your replies. I have just tried this and indeed it takes the same amount of time to remove a snapshot of similar size VM. On my production site it only takes a few seconds, and I just noticed that only on DR site it takes much longer due to slow and old storage. But I guess this is ok since it is only used for DR purposes.