Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
drpooh
Lurker
Liked: never

How to backup particual snapshot state

Post by drpooh »

We have VM with many snapshots and decided to delete them all. But before doing that we need to backup some of VM states (snapshots). One way is to shutdown VM, take one more snapshot, then revert to desired state, backup it. Then next revert to next desired state and backup it. After all revert to snapshot we did before backup and delete all snapshots. It's time consuming. VM will be down for long time. Another way is to shutdown VM, copy it's folder, register with different name and do revert&backup while main VM is working.
Question: it there any way to do backup without shutdowns and reverts? As I understand when VM with many snapshots is backuped it's date is taken from base vmdk and subsequent snapshots. And VM when reverted to snapshot reads its data the same way. So why can't we choose which state of VM with snapshots to backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to backup particual snapshot state

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Veeam B&R is using VADP (vStorage API for Data Protection) to backup/replicate VMware VMs, which in turn does not allow to preserve existing snapshot tree for the backed up VM. During backup/replication job all existing snapshots are merged to the parent virtual disk, and I guess the easiest way to backup this tree is to copy the entire VM folder to a new location.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

That is, shutdown VM and use copy functionality under Files tab in Veeam Backup & Replication.
dfernandez
Novice
Full Name: Dominic Fernandez

[MERGED] Backing up VM's containing snapshots

Post by dfernandez »

Hi,

I have a query regarding backing up VM's that contain snapshots. I do not have a test environment to check this, hence the post. I have a VM with a few snapshots that I need to preserve by backing them up using Veeam and storing them on tape. When Veeam backups up such a VM, does it preserve the snapshots as well or does it only backup the running state. I need to confirm this as there might be a requirement to restore the VM at a later date and revert back to some snapshots.

Thanks in advance
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Backing up VM's containing snapshots

Post by tsightler »

Only the current running state is backed up.
emtunc
Novice
Full Name: Mikail Tunç

[MERGED] What happens if a VM has an existing snapshot?

Post by emtunc »

What does Veeam do if there is an existing snapshot on a VM ? Assuming two possible scenarios; an incremental and an active full.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In addition to the above, in case of existing snapshots, CBT could sometimes not work for VMs that have one or more snapshots before backup start (VMware limitation). Before running backup and replication jobs, it is recommended to delete VM snapshots, so that the job can enable CBT on all processed VMs. Inability to enable CBT results in the fact that Veeam B&R has to read the whole disks to verify those blocks that need to be processed.
emtunc
Novice
Full Name: Mikail Tunç

Post by emtunc »

foggy wrote:In addition to the above, in case of existing snapshots, CBT could sometimes not work for VMs that have one or more snapshots before backup start (VMware limitation). Before running backup and replication jobs, it is recommended to delete VM snapshots, so that the job can enable CBT on all processed VMs. Inability to enable CBT results in the fact that Veeam B&R has to read the whole disks to verify those blocks that need to be processed.
Hmm okay so it sounds like backups for that particular VM could get corrupted if a snapshot exists? Is there a way to disable CBT per VM? Looks like there's a way to do it for a specific job but not by VM. I am happy to use PowerShell if it means I can disable CBT for a VM.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

emtunc wrote:Hmm okay so it sounds like backups for that particular VM could get corrupted if a snapshot exists?
No, it does not sound like that. You are able to successfully backup VMs with snapshots, however this could take longer time due to inability to use CBT. No need to disable CBT, it will be used in case it is enabled, otherwise our proprietary algorithm will be used to calculate blocks that should be transferred.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, even by the means of PowerShell CBT can be enabled/disabled on the job level only.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
leiw
Expert

[MERGED] Can Veeam backup VMware snapshot ?

Post by leiw »

Hello,

Is it can include or exclude VMware snapshots during the setting ?

Thanks
JohnnyJungle
Novice
Full Name: John Stephens

[MERGED] Snapshot (Replication Job)

Post by JohnnyJungle »

Hi,

I can use Veeam to replicate VM's from one DC to another, but it is not replicating the VM's snapshot.

I know Veeam is taking a new snapshot, which it then replicates - the problem is the VM has a number snapshots which I want to replicate as well. Will I just have to revert the VM to that snapshot and then replicate it, so creating more VM's at the other DC

Cheers

JohnnyJungle
veremin
Product Manager

Re: Snapshot (Replication Job)

Post by veremin »

Hi, John, the only way to preserve VM snaphshots I can think of is to use File Copy Job in order to copy all VM files, including snapshots. Once copied, these files can be registered at the target site.

Thanks.
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

[MERGED] how replicate vm with all snapshots ?

Post by baber »

Hi.

i have use veeam backup & replication 7 now i create a snapshot from my virtual machine but when i replicate my virtual machine on the other host my snapshot that i have been created previously not replicated with machine on new host now what do i have to do ? this problem has been solved in new veeam backup and replicatete 8 ?

now what do i have to do ?
how can i replicate my virtual machine with all of my snapshots? because when i click on snapshot manager it just show 1 snapshot that has been created when vm is replicate
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vStorage API does not support replication of snapshots, so you should be using other Veeam jobs (mentioned in this thread) to replicate this data. Out of curiosity, why do you keep these snapshots on your production VMs?
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

[MERGED] how use snapshots when i have a replicate

Post by baber »

hi

i have installed veeam backup and replication 7 now i have a problem i create a backup and replicate a vm that have some snapshot on the other host but in new host that machine there is not any snapshot but i need to my snapshots now how can i use my snapshots on new host
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Vitaliy already gave you the answer.
Veeam does not replicate snapshots, because VMware vStorage API does not allow it.

You need to use a different method, like copying the full VM directory
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Baber,

Just out of curiosity - what is the main reason of using snapshots on the given VM? Is it something related to reverting to the previous state quickly? If so, doesn't quick rollback functionality answer this requirement?

Thanks.
Gerbrand
Novice
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Backing up Snapshots

Post by Gerbrand »

Hi,

I am testing Veeam for full back-upping of VMs. We use ESXI 6.5, it all seems to work fine. But I can't find an option to back-up (and restore) VMs including snapshots that are made in VMware. When I restore now the snapshots are not there.

I found some posts from 2010 that the API of Vmware doesn't support the back-up of snapshots.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backing up Snapshots

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

You can simply copy the VM directory to preserve snapshots, as Veeam B&R cannot backup them due to VMware limitations.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
Gerbrand
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by Gerbrand »

thnx,
What if I need to restore, I use Veeam B&R to fully rerstore a VM?
But can I add the snapshots that I lost this way?

Or should I do a file copy job and restore from there? the disadvantage is that it won't compressed?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

From the backup you can restore just the VM state it was in while it was backed up, snapshots are not backed up. If you use file copy job to copy the entire VM files set to another location, you will be able to register this set as a new VM in virtual environment and revert to any of the snapshots.