Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
itm@mcdonald
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Bryan

Moving B&R from Physical to VM

Post by itm@mcdonald »

Hi all
When B&R was first installed two years ago by a consultant it was placed on a physical box, due to ageing hardware issues we have moved it to a new VM. This VM also houses VMWare vCenter Server - as did the old phyical box. Took me a while to get the order of installing the B&R and Enterprise Manager as well as UPdate1 (which proudly proclaimed 'Installation Successful' oh apart from Update 1 that is! - Anyway that is sorted.

We have three esxi servers - two productin and one for the Replicas - I notice that now our licence is complaing that we don't have enough CPU's - not sure if it has always been like this (the old machine is dead so can't check). Could this be due to haveing the B&R server on the third (Replica) server? Should I move it to one of the others - resources are tight so would rather leave it where it is if possible.
EDIT
When I moved the vCebter Server the two production servers shared two datastores - but as they had VM's on them I could not add them both back into the Main Datacenter and had to add a second datacenter for one of them. Not sure if that is relevant to the above. Looking at building a temp Datastore to move all the VM's off one Datastore add it back in to all Datacemters and then move the VM's back again.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Moving B&R from Physical to VM

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Simon,

You can leave the VBR server on the third host, also you can have as many instances of the backup server as you need without additional licenses.
However, if you installed the vCenter server from scratch, then your hosts and VMs got new morefIDs, since then the hosts probably duplicated in the license management, so you need to go to Enterprise Manager -> Configuration -> Licensing and check it.
There will be detailed information about licensed sockets and CPUs used by each of the managed hosts.

Thanks!
itm@mcdonald
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Bryan

Re: Moving B&R from Physical to VM

Post by itm@mcdonald »

Thanks - had a look there but it just shows the three esxi servers each with 2 cpu's - the licence says 4. The number of CPU's has not changed and the licence is the same as before. The only difference is the number of DataCenters. I know the licence warning was not there before.

cheers