Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Copy job help

Post by kubimike »

Hi guys, ran into an issue with tape backups taking way too long. I want to do a copy job to USB but I want it to be a full created from the files already in my repository. Then after, I want to move that data from USB to tape. Could someone point out an easy way to achieve that ?

It looks like the issue is copy jobs can't create synthetic fulls ? I'd have to create a brand new regular job and have the data saved to USB?
kubimike
Veteran

Re: Copy job help

Post by kubimike »

Ok read up some more. If I do a copy job I can set the restore point to '2' that should accomplish that I want. Question though if I add a USB as a repository and not flag it as a rotating drive will that be an issue ? I don't want plan on removing it and I see rotating media treats retention polices differently. Basically this will just be a launch point for my tape jobs. I'll set a tape job to backup a repository. In this case the USB
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No reason to enable rotated drives if you're not rotating them.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

thanks
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Followup question, why does this backup copy job say CBT enabled?? I ticked the option "Read the entire restore point from source backup" not sure if this makes a difference in my question. Also interesting to see that it mentions "Network" and "Proxy". Why would those calculations even show up copying from repo to USB directly ?

Also for those interested the speed you're seeing is to USB 3.0. This is Western Digitals DUO 16 TB loaded with their 'RED' drives in RAID 0

kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

nobody knows?! :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I guess CBT in this case refers to changes that need to be transferred to build new restore point on target (not VMware CBT). "Proxy" in case of direct backup copy job is Veeam data mover agent installed on the source backup repository. "Network" refers to data transfer between source and target data movers, but since they are on the same machine in your case, it shouldn't play any role.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

thnx