Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DukeR
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Some really basic questions I guess

Post by DukeR »

Hi all,

I am quite new to the whole Thing but I already went threw the helpcenter which is in my opinion quite a good thing. What I have difficulties with is basically the understanding of application Aware processing and backup copy jobs.
With application aware processing I've got the possibility to backup environments in a consistent state which is imporatant for database server for example.

To be able to restore single items for a file server I dont Need it am i right? Do you have a set of applications which would Need VSS like Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, SQL?

Further I don't properly understand the meanting of the running interval for copy jobs, it says run daily on 12 am for example but does that mean that it only runs then and is not checking new restore points before? I saw a situation where the backup copy job run immediatly after the backup job even it was configured to run hours later.

Thank you for some clarity here and sorry for these Kind of questions

Best regards
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Some really basic questions I guess

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Michael and welcome to the community!

Thank you for the positive feedback about the User Guide.
DukeR wrote:To be able to restore single items for a file server I dont Need it am i right? Do you have a set of applications which would Need VSS like Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, SQL?
Without AAP you'll able to restore files, as for item restore you need AAP enabled.
Please check our sticky thread where you will find FAQ about AAP.

During the interval backup copy job continuously looking for the new restore points on the source repository and start to copy most recent VM data when it's allowed by backup window and if there are no backup jobs running.
For example, run daily at 12 AM means that every day at 12 AM backup copy job will create a new incremental file and during next 24 hours will copy the data there.
Please review this detailed description of backup copy interval in existing discussion. Thanks!
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Re: Some really basic questions I guess

Post by micoolpaul »

Hi,

I was confused with Backup Copy Job for a while but the way to look at it is what is your desired copy interval. I set mine to every day. I've got a backup job that kicks off at 6pm, it normally takes about 45-50 minutes but to be on the safe side I set my backup copy job to start at 8pm. When this runs it will look for new copies of each mapped VM or backup job and will then start copying the moment it detects one. It's important to note that it'll run in the next day window but not necessarily immediately for the following reasons:

If you use something like weekly full incremental that may take longer, so it has to wait for this to finish to be able to access the new backup file.
If your backup job overruns it'll have to wait until it can then access the backup file, again causing an initial copy delay.
If you have multiple backups covering different VMs then the backup copy job will copy these as the new backup copies become available.
You may find that your file servers stop being accessed at 5pm but your SQL and IIS systems are still commonly accessed until about 10-11pm so you may wish to back them up later, backup copy job will copy the file servers once that job has finished and then will sit in a pending state for your SQL and IIS until their backup runs, then copy those as well.

Hope this helps!
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard