Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Krzysztof_S
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Krzysztof S.

Failed to query NTFS directory (case #02179946)

Post by Krzysztof_S »

Hello,

For a few days we're facing problem with VAW 2.0 backups. Backup stopped to work and VAW finishes with error:

Error: Failed to query NTFS directory 'Users\username\Downloads\folder' Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: Bad data Failed to call CryptDecrypt

We're doing test deployment of VAW on 5 workstations and for now on 3 of them we receive this error.
It's thrown few days after initial configuration of VAW. Backups are set up to be password encrypted and stored on Sandisk USB Fit 3.0 exFAT formatted and plugged to computers.

It's not a problem with NTFS filesystem on harddrive since even if I remove directory listed in error message, backup still doesnn't work.

Has anyone received this error in VAW? We're planning to deploy 100+ VAW on workstations but till we do not resolve this issue it's not an option.

Regards,

Krzysztof
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Failed to query NTFS directory (case #02179946)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Krzysztof,

Have you heard anything from support team? To double check the permissions please try if copy/paste works to the same directory via regular windows file browser.
bmpollock
Lurker
Full Name: Brian Pollock

Post by bmpollock »

I am also receiving this error on one of our agent backups. Has there been any resolution?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Brian,

The case was closed during investigation, so we do not have any resolution to share. Please raise a ticket and do not forget to share the case Id in this thread. Thank you.
nstoik
Lurker
Full Name: Nelson Stoik

[MERGED] File Level Backup Started Failing

Post by nstoik »

I have created a case for this with case ID 03960522 but the auto acknowledge email also suggested to open a topic here.

I have a file level backup job that is set to backup one drive of a server only. It was working fine for about two months until two days ago when it started giving the following error:

Code: Select all

1/19/2020 8:01:55 AM :: Error: Failed to query NTFS directory 'Shares\Users$benkai\Desktop\Kaiser Ag\Layer FA\COMBI II\PICTURES\Combi II Pics'
Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}.
Exception from server: Reconnectable protocol device was closed.
I am not sure if I should be looking into the NTFS part of the error, the agent part, or the exception from server.

Other backup jobs are still working. Just the file level backup job started having problems two days ago now.

I am looking for some direction on where to start fixing this error.

Thanks,
Nelson
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. I merged your issue with a similar question (according to your question, I assume that you are using the Veeam Agent for Windows as VM backup does not have file level backup)

I see that they are not 100% the same and suggest to wait for a support response. It's hard to guess where this kind of error message could come from.

Best regards,
Hannes