Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mosiac
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sean Mitchuson

Feature Request - Interact with fiber switches

Post by mosiac »

It would be really nice if I didn't have to directly attach all my tape drives to fiber ports on fiber cards on my local server but instead could run them across a link on my fiber switch just to help keep things a bit cleaner.

That's all.

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request - Interact with fiber switches

Post by veremin »

You don't have to attach a tape library to your local backup server, you can have it attached to whatever server you want to and then add that server to the backup console. Or you're after something else?
mosiac
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sean Mitchuson

Post by mosiac »

I don't want to have to directly attach my tape library to my server in the method of tape drive > tape management server. I have many tape drives in use due to the size of data I am writing to tape so I have around 6 drives currently and looking to expand further which means I either need more fiber ports in the server (not possible at this point) or another server to attach to veeam as a tape library management server to hook up addtional drives.

I'd much prefer to have 1 tape management server attached to a fiber switch, which presents all the tape drives to it through zoning.
einhirn
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Post by einhirn »

Why do you think that you need to directly attach your tape drives to fiber ports on your server? There's no problem with an FC switch inbetween (except maybe total bandwidth - but in practice that was no problem here). I've had 6 LTO4 tapes connected to my server using one FC 4Gb Link via a FC Switch - worked like a charm.
Currently I don't use the switch any more because I didn't have any redundancy for it, but thats just me. Main point is: Windows has to see the tape drives. How that happens (FC direct, FC via Switch, SAS, Ethernet, whatever) is completely transparent to Veeam.