Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
alexgr
Novice
Liked: never

Backup To Tape with multiple Veeam Servers

Post by alexgr »

Hello,
I have an short question:

I have a server with local storage as repository server. Can two different Veeam Backup & Replication Server (same version) use that backup repository (my guess is yes) and what about automatic import of backups of the other Veeam server? Do I need to use powershell scripts to rescan the repository every now and then?

Let's say one Backup server writes down some backup.
The second has a permanent running copy job (copying the entire repository), would it recognize new backup files automatically?

Best regards
Alex
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup To Tape with multiple Veeam Servers

Post by foggy »

Hi Alex, could you please elaborate on the exact scenario, since I'm not sure why there's a "tape" reference in the topic header? Basically, two backup servers can write to the same repository server provided they are both at the same Veeam B&R patch level.

Periodic automatic rescans will import the backups written by another backup server to the same repository folder. However, to be able to use them as source for the backup copy job, you would need to have a dummy backup job mapped to them.
alexgr
Novice

Post by alexgr »

I'm sorry. My initial thought was a bit different.

I have a VBR server on my main site with a tape server connected. Due my bad internet connection on my remote site, I need to deploy a second VBR server there.
The problem now is that I want the backups of the second VBR server on tape and my guess would that I cannot use a tape server with multiple veeam servers (there was the topic). Is that correct?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, as there should be only one backup server interacting with a given tape server. Thanks.
alexgr
Novice

Post by alexgr »

Then thank you very much,
especially with the hint for the dummy backup job.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. I think it also makes sense to create backup copy job on a backup server that has tape server added; should ease management of different backup activities and help to avoid jobs overlap. Thanks.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Is your internet connection at the remote site bad in the sense of how little bandwidth it has or in the sense that it is unreliable in terms of uptime?

If it is just bandwidth related, you might want to look at having a repository in the remote site but run all the jobs from the main site. With interaction proxies and mount servers, the bandwidth required between the management server and the remote site will be pretty minimal. This would allow you to use the one tape server to archive multiple sites. (How you get the data to the location via backup copy or just running the tape job from the remote repository is dependent on a number of factors)

Running all of the jobs off of one server removes the need to rescan the shared repository/make dummy jobs to make them accessible to tape.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
csdn
Novice
Full Name: Sylvain Marion

[MERGED] Multiple Veeam B&R server with one tape server

Post by csdn »

Hi

I have a new tape backup device attached to a physical Windows 2016 server with Veeam B&R installed on it.

My actual infrastructure for backup is 3 virtual servers with B&R 9.5 u1 and Ent+ licence. Each B&R servers have Backup schedule on it and a Backup repository on a San. So 3 Volumes on a San.

My question is how to setup this infra and that the new tape backup device can see the backup job of the 3 B&R servers and can make a backup to tape for each of the 3 backup servers.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Sylvain,
As stated above only one backup server should be interacting with a tape server. So the best way is to use backup copy job with desired backups as a source of tape backup job.
Thanks!
crazylefty
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Hart

[MERGED] Multiple Veeam servers and one tape server

Post by crazylefty »

Hi all,
I've got three Veeam servers in two different locations, backing up to four shared repositories.
We have just recently purchased a Dell tape library, and have it connected to my main site's Veeam and backing up just fine.
Now i want to get the backups created by the other two Veeam servers backed up to tape as well.
I've tried just backing up the repository, but it find 0 Files to backup since its not handling the backup jobs.
I heard that you can map a backup and create dummy jobs, but I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this.
Can someone give me some pointers?
I've got main backup jobs, and backup copy jobs for each backup to different repositories
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Matt,
Indeed multiple VBR Servers cannot share one tape server, however you may use backup copy job running on "main" VBR server to make backups appear on tapes.
Here is another good related topic.
Thanks!